Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 5, 2010

yeesh! it's just a game!

Hi, my name is Ed and I am a college football junkie. I love the game. I love the pageantry, the rivalries, the tradition, the intensity (that gets lost most times in the NFL -- money ruins everything), just about everything about it (well with the exception of the BCS structuring -- again money! but that's another rant!). 

I could happily set my ass down in front of the idiot box on Fall Saturdays and watch 12 hours of games. It's a disease, I know, but we all have our vices.   ; )

I am a big-time loyally devout University of Tennessee Vols fan. I watch every game I can, and those I cannot watch, I listen to Bob Kesling on the Vol Radio Network. Winning or losing, whether or not the game is competitive, I am tuned in. When they do well I cheer, when they don't, I jeer. Yet, I still watch and faithfully support them week in, week out.

I have been to many games at Neyland Stadium and have had interactions with fans from nearly every single SEC school. There is always banter and smack-talk going on between the fans, and it is usually done in a light-hearted fun spirit.

The Florida Gators are a much-hated rival. Well for us at least, since it's been such a long time that we have beat them. Additionally, more often than not, the winner of that game has gone on to represent the SEC east in the SEC championship game, so it's always a big game. I have been to two UT-UF matchups and have had a pleasant interaction with Gator fans, even though they are on the wrong side.   ; )

Alabama is another hated rival. Our team could theoretically go 1-11 for the year and the coach wouldn't get fired, so long as that lone win was over the Crimson Tide (okay that's a bit exaggerated, but you get the idea).   Again, I have been to two UT-UA  matchups and have had no problems with the opposing fans.

Football is a big deal in the south. These folks take it seriously. Fridays in the fall in many small towns are spent at the local High School stadium watching the boys play. Saturdays are typically spent either watching the game on TV or going to campus to tailgate on the strip and, if fortunate, watch the game. It's just a rite of passage!

Yesterday, prior to the game between USC (southern Cal.) and UCLA there was a brawl involving over 50 fans. As a result, two folks got stabbed. STABBED! over what? an argument about "my team is better than yours"? WTF?!?!

There is a quote by Mark Twain I like (actually I enjoy most of his witticisms) that is especially pertinent to this situation ... ""We need not worry so much about what man descends from-it's what he descends to that shames the human race." Too true!

I mean, really! What has become of "civilization"? I can understand that tempers flare, but this all started over a game! 

Yes, I am aware violence occurs with some regularity at some World Cup events, but again, it's just a game! I love sports, am a bit  of a fanatic, but not crazed enough to cause harm to another, that's ridiculous! and as Mr. Twain said .... SHAMEFUL!


(as a side note, cops arrested the two they believed to have been responsible for the stabbing and the two that were stabbed were taken to the hospital and were in stable condition)

No comments: