Total Pageviews

Monday, December 13, 2010

without belief ... we have nothing

... that was a line from the movie I seen earlier today. That's right *I* went to the movies.

I *hate* going to the theater. Not so much the prices (which are outrageous) but the rudeness of those around you as you try to enjoy a movie you just paid "way too much" for.

I have always had a fancy for fantasy films. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, I still haven't outgrown it.   ;j

Going to see ths was bittersweet, since her and I never (okay hardly ever) get to have just "us" time, but  it was the first time this series would be viewed when all four of us were not present. Granted, when Dad took his stroke, we all knew our lives had changed, but had no idea to the extent they had. It's sobering sometimes!

The movie? the latest installment of the Narnia series ("Voyage of the Dawn Treader") by C.S. Lewis. Megan is an avid reader and a *big* fan of C.S. Lewis' novels. (not at all saying I am *not* a fan, just haven't read it, since I am not much of a reader)

Soooo .. when her and I saw the advertisement for the preview of this movie, I looked at her with an anxious smile and said "Let's go to that" and she, without hesitation, said "Yes, let's".  So it was a date ... SWEET!

As mentioned, I have never been much for seeing a movie at a theater, especially as much as they charge to do so anymore. This was even more escalated when Megan found out that the 3-D version of the movie cost $3 more than the 2-D version.
.
WTF?!?! There never used to be any difference between watching 2-D and 3-D flicks. sunuva .........

Well, neither Megan nor I are so caught up in  effects to merit the extra $3 (bless her heart) to watch the technology that was already (fuggin') filmed! So we both decide the 2-D version is good enough since we are both in it for the story and plot ... not so much the special effects (again, bless her heart!)

We get to the theater about 10 minutes prior to filming to see .. commercials! Really? I see enough advertisements on *TV* that I try to IGNORE!! Commericals? Really? yeesh!

Anyway, the movie finally starts and I am not sure if I enjoyed the movie more .... or Megan's reactions to the movie. I could tell when moments of the movie did not follow the C.S. Lewis' intent; I could tell when all of a sudden Megan was scared, enthused,  or shocked by a scene; it was almost as fun to watch her react. Don't get me wrong ... the movie was good, but it was priceless to watch Megan.

Again, it was bittersweet, since it was just her and I watching it, not all four of us! But then again, as previously mentioned, her and I get few "dates" .... the last occurred so long ago neither of us could recall the date, but knew what we had done together. However, as sweet as it was, it was still awkward since, Melissa and Isaac had not joined us.

The movie was great, and if you had watched the previous two, the third didn't disappoint, and that is all I am going to say in hopes that I don't want to spoil it for those that would be wanting to see it. I will say, though, there was one scene that reminded me of the silliness of Monty Python's "The Holy Grail" scene where the knights that say "ni" asked for a "shrubbery" (it is the monopods scene for those familiar with the novels).

Once the movie ended, the directors/producers/ whomever incorporated the actual artwork of C.S. Lewis' works in the credits. Of all the 12 people that were in attendance, Megan and I were the last to leave, as we enjoyed every bit of the artwork offered.

We closed our "date", with some sundaes at Sonic. Ordinarily, that would be no big deal, but this time, it was around 25*F so I imagine we tripped out the people working there when we ordered.   LOL

Sadly, Megan had to head back to the dorms shortly after getting home as the winter storm coming had intimidated her, and she had finals in the morning. Good luck Kiddo .... and thanks for a good (albeit rare) afternoon date!   ;j

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daddy it was absolutely wonderful!!! i loved every minute of it except the leaving part... i wish i didn't have to. but i am almost done and will be home soon. love you!!!