Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 23, 2010

all nestled in their "beds"

The new building has  sat empty for nearly a week now allowing it to settle since the ground was so wet when initially set up. So, I checked the building for level to see if it would need to be re-plumbed and it was right where it needed to be. Super!

So the *job* of getting bikes moved into the shed commenced. I enlisted Isaac's help since some of them have not been moved in a *while* and only one of them actually runs right now -- or so I thought.

I looked at the spacing and tried to figure out how I was going to place them (four in all) in there and still leave enough room for the hacked Goldwing.

We set Dad's wheelchair ramp up in the doorway (since the ground isn't leveled up to the entry yet) to make the job easier. The first bike in was Pearl, my baby bandit. I straddled the bike and instantly thought 'Man! I miss riding this bike'. 

I tried backing it up from where it has been in the garage since February, only to find that it wasn't budging. Okay check neutral -- shift it down into first and lift it back up to set into neutral. Grunt, pull, grunt, pull -- no go! Isaac starts yanking with me and it starts moving, sort of. 

The front wheel is locked.  I put it up on the center stand and sprayed some lube around the axle and start working it. It took a few minutes and a lot more grunting, but it finally freed up. We rolled it into place and went after the next one.

I figured on loading the Sabre next. This is the only one in my stable that runs. I put the key in and hit the starter button and it wouldn't go. I kept at it but the battery started draining. Dammit!

Bah! okay, let's get the Magna which has been setting outside under a tarp. I dreaded this because last time I attempted to move it both wheels were not moving. However, it was due to brakes, not the wheels. I had forgotten, and was pleasantly surprised, to see that I had removed the brakes from the discs. Sweet! it nicely rolled into place. 

Went back to the Sabre and tried it again. It is now a little bit warmer outside, so maybe ... hit the starter and it started, then immediately died. I kept at it and it finally got up enough idle to stay running. Whew! Good ol' Jitterbug! one less to push! Made some VROOM VROOM noises and rode it into place.

Next we got the Interceptor to put it in it's place. This one had a flat rear tire, so we lug it back to where the airline hose would reach, air it up and roll it into the shed ... almost. We lost momentum halfway up the ramp. Instead of rolling  it back uphill, I have Isaac get his sister so she can give us the extra 'ooomph!' needed to crest the ramp. 

Now all the bikes are nestled in their new "beds". Well, except for the 'wing which will have to wait until we level up the ground to make a ramp as the wheelchair ramp wasn't wide enough for the land yacht. 

Here is what it looks like with a spot reserved for the 'wing ....



I gathered up the various bike parts and the two extra compressors of Dad's and move them all over to the shed and WOOO HOOOO! there is room in the garage again. Color me happy!

So much so that I celebrated by turning a pieced of wood. It was so great to get back in the garage again. 

5 comments:

Brian said...

Nice looking shed there Ed. Did you build it? Was it a kit? Or did you buy it and someone came out and set it up?

I hear ya about hopin on Perl and going "Dang I miss this bike" :-( Ya gotta get them all runnin and take them out once a month at least to keep them happy.

Great job! :-)

edsrockin said...

well hello there mr. pot -- kettle here. ;j

dad bought the shed and the guy came out and set it up for us. blogged on it last week. spaced out, i think is the title of it.

FoothillRyder said...

Looks a lot like the bike shed I had in Pine Grove. I had a Sabre, a Magna, an Interceptor, the BMW R50, a basket case TR120V, a work bench and tool crib in there. Good stuff!

Missy said...

crap hun, don't let pops see that empty hole...for the sake of pete reangle the bikes so it looks fuller than it is ... otherwise we will need a 3rd blessed shed!!

edsrockin said...

trust me once the ground is leveled up and the wing is in there, there won't be extra room. so no worries there.