Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

shoot the moon ...

or in this case the damned clouds that once again obscured viewing a celestial event *this* year!!!


Normally, I like clouds. I like to marvel at the wondrous Rorsharckian-ink blot shapes that form against the grey or blue background. It is but another beauty of Nature.

However, this is the third time this year I have been prevented from witnessing a celestial event. This time it was the last lunar eclipse that we will see in North America until 2012. I just wanted to go out and play with the camera and try to capture a "red" moon.

The clouds started rolling in about 7:00. We had watched the news earlier in the day and their hour-by-hour forecast indicated we were going to be socked in.

I refused to believe it and was hopeful that maybe a stray wind(s) or some other force(s) would diverge the system enough to allow us a window to see it. Yeah, I'm a fool, but oh well.

I went out at 1:00 about a half hour before the edge of the Earth's shadow was supposed to start "blocking" the Moon. A quick look only confirmed that the weather prognosticators were correct and my hopes for stray winds or other outside help were futile.

There was a faint glimmer of where the moon's location was beyond the clouds, and that was it. The sky was completely covered in clouds and I opted to go to bed out of frustration because I no longer had hope that it would clear up to offer me so much as a glimpse. All I wanted was a few pictures.

I guess that gives me time to hone my photography "skills" and maybe by 2012 I will be able to snap a decent shot of it ... that is, if the damned clouds don't interfere ... AGAIN!

No comments: