Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 2, 2010

space is at a premium ...

at least with Dad it is.

Yesterday he and I went out to order a storage building that would be large enough to house the bikes and free up some room in our garage. As it is now, everytime I go into the garage, I have to perform aerobic exercises to get beyond the door.

Dad likes toys! Actually, I think he makes it his mission to fill up every available square inch of room available, and then get *just* a little more. He sure does like a full garage, but then he doesn't have to navigate his way through it.  ; )

When we moved up here, the first thing Dad did on the property was to get a 20 X 26 two-bay garage built. This is much larger than the one he had down in Florida.

Of course, it didn't take long for him to acquire enough toys to fill it. First, it was the Tyrex (basically a 4x4 golf cart on steroids), which he had in Florida, along with his Harley and my Sabre and Bandit.

Then he bought a tractor. So now both bays are full as well as the middle with bikes.

He then traded his bike off for a 66 Mustang. Now the tractor has to be kept outside, so I built him a lean-to along the side of the garage so the tractor wouldn't be in the weather.

About 6 months ago, he bought a 2010 Challenger R/T, which also has to sit outside, but we do have a car cover for it. Back in September he picked up a Goldwing with a sidecar, now the Tyrex sits outside so the 'wing won't have to. His toys sitting outside drives him crazy.

So we came up with the idea of getting  another building that we could keep all the bikes in and hopefully (at least briefly) free up some space in the garage. I can hear the wheels in his head spinning   "what can I get next to fill that area back in?"  LOL

As I mentioned at the start of this blog, we went and ordered a building yesterday. It is due here two Wednesdays from now. It will be 12 X 16 with one 90" door, which is just barely wide enough to drive the rig into.

Problem is, the space where it is going to be placed, is not very level. So I scooped the top layer of dirt I dragged off for Melissa's garden a couple weeks ago and began using it to fill in the low spots. Where I had this pile of dirt was on the lower part of the property.

After a few trips across it with the tractor, it was getting rather slippery due to all the rain we had in the past two days. I damn near got that tractor stuck and I had it in four wheel drive. I was backing up and just sliding sideways further downhill.

All the while, I kept playing with the gas and the wheel trying to regain traction, but it was pretty futile. I finally grabbed enough traction to get out of there and decided that was all the dirt I needed to get today so I wouldn't risk getting the tractor stuck!

No comments: