Total Pageviews

Friday, December 17, 2010

spacing out ...

Woo Hooo! The new building arrived today. This is the place that will house the bikes and (hopefully) free up some room in the garage.

Here it is in its new home ....



It is a 12' X 16' shed. This will easily house my 3 Honda V4s, the Bandit, and Dad's hacked Goldwing. I can't wait to get them in there so I can actually move around a little in the garage when it comes time to do some work out there.

I would've already had them in there, but with all the snow, ice, and rain we have gotten this week the ground is soft. I mean *really* soft! I will need to wait until the ground settles before putting any weight in there.

It was so soft [yeesh there's always one, isn't there?], that the guy who dropped it off had a tough time getting it unloaded as there was only one load point and the weight of the shed just pushed the stacked blocks into the ground. He finally had to set it up so that there were three instead of a single load bearing stack so that he could remove it from the trailer without the shed sinking into the ground.

Then it was just a matter of creating more load supports. Jack it up, place blocks, lower, check level, repeat (sounds like showering instructions).

There are 11 places under it that are supported by block and the front left corner is supported directly by the ground. It took well over an hour to get it set due to the soft ground and the fact the grade had a definite slope to it, as can be seen.

When grading it, I did the best I could but ran out of material to build up the back corner. We brought in 10 ton of fill dirt and 10 ton of gravel, but as you can see the back side was still low. Part of that was due to lack of material, but also due to the fact that I couldn't get the tractor's box blade to pull the dirt as far as I wanted due to the treeline being in the way.

Hopefully it will settle in the next few days and I can free up some space in the garage.




1 comment:

Missy said...

then you can go play again!!!