Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 9, 2011

there's nuthin' like live ...

So I got to take in another show last night. That's two in a month's time, it's almost like old times!

I love seeing a live show. The energy, the interaction between fans and the band, just the whole experience is a good time to me.

The headliner for last night's bill was a band that is far out of the mainstream and I think they like it that way. Their name is Fair to Midland and are from Texas.

Very odd, artsy music that is more like an acquired taste. I wasn't sure if I liked it or not the first few times I heard it, but after that it grew on me.   ; )

The doors were supposed to open at 6:30 and the last show I went to, I missed most of the opening act (partially due to them opening the doors late), because we were in line to get into the place. The part of the set we caught was great, but I was really bummed to have missed the rest of the act.

Well, they were put on this bill, so I made sure I was going to be able to catch *all* of their set this time! I showed up about 20 minutes after doors were set to open and again, they weren't. However, this time there wasn't much of a line, so I just stayed in the car jammin' to some FTM priming myself for the show.

The doors didn't open until 8. They must've meant 6:30 *Central* time! ; )  

Oh well, this time I managed to get inside before the band hit the stage. They are a TN band and I hope I get to see some more of them. Their name is ARC.

3 guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer. All instrumental and all out. They have quite a full and complex sound at a high energy pace.

At times, to me, it seemed a bit choppy, almost rushed, as some of the transitions weren't as fluid as I typically hear, but I think that was by design. Even though there were times when I didn't know where they were going, they sure did!

If you took the pieces of the song (guitarists, drummer, bassist) and separated them you would think there is NO way this would work when put together -- but it did!   Good stuff!

They were tight and had a great sound. They were selling EPs for a $1 so I picked one up  and jammed on it on the drive home.

The next band up was Scale the Summit. During the set change, my buddy was playing around on his internet equipped phone and informed me that this band *makes* their own instruments. Apparently, they had attended some musical institute.

So when they took the stage, I paid special attention and sure enough, the bassist had six strings, the lead guitar had 7, and the rhythm guitar had 8. 21 strings between three instruments! ARC had 22 between four!   ;  )      They didn't just know how to design their instruments, they could play them too!

They got to extend their set a few songs, since the band that typically followed them, a band called Periphery, had dropped off the tour the previous day. I guess that's why the doors didn't open until 8, but the venue still could update their website to let fans know. I could've found a better way to spend that hour.

Anyway, back to the show. I was glad they were able to showcase a few extra songs, as I thoroughly enjoyed their set. They were really talented and brought a good energy level to the stage (as did ARC).

They closed with what the guy called their "toughest" song. I think it was an excellent choice. They played a great set.

Next up was Fair to Midland. The lead singer is a f*cknut! He sure is one odd duck!

In between verses he did what looked to be an epileptic seizure. Now, I am afflicted with "white boy dancing" myself but he made *me* look good.   LoL     Still, he was amusing to watch. I think I laughed as much as I ever had at a show.

Their set was great, but again, they are an odd style of music. Actually, I don't think there *is* a style they "fit".

They were edgier than I would've guessed from their recorded stuff. The few fans that were there, were *real* fans and knew their music quite well.

The guy that stood in line behind me came over from Nashville, to see them. Apparently, they don't tour much outside of their home state.

It was a great show, and I must admit although I really enjoyed FTM's set, I was more impressed with the opening acts. I don't recall the last time that happened. Not saying FTM was not a good show, but the other two were  great.

Not sure when I will get to take in another show, but I can't wait. There's no substitute for the energy and interaction of a live show.

No comments: