Total Pageviews

Saturday, April 23, 2011

I am (or can be) my own worst enemy

So yesterday afternoon I set out to do some "spring cleaning" in the garage. It really has gotten out of hand.

I have stuff .... EVERYwhere! It is one big clusterf*cked mess! I typically am a "place for everything and everything in its place" guy, but over the past couple months, I have gotten lazy and left things where they were last used. Very chaotic and atypical of my normal (not that I am normal) behavior.

Anyway, so I spent the better part of the daylight hours straightening, reorganizing, and putting things away. I was even starting to see signs of progress and cleared off the workbench that my grinder sets on, so now I could sharpen my lathe chisels.   YAAY!

I took a break long enough to go inside and eat dinner. When I went back out, I planned to tackle the other workbench on the "shop" side of the garage. However, I started in on another project.

The summer heat quickly approaches and when Dad put the addition on the house, we wound up with two windows. I got Dad's approval to put one out in the garage and right now both are being stored there in the way.

So I got the bright idea that I would begin removing the plywood panels so that I could go about installing the window. Sounds pretty simple, but actually that required taking shelves off the wall and emptying off the workbench I intended to clean anyway and the miter box stand so I could remove them from the wall as well.

I hit a stone wall, when I realized that I will have to re-route some wiring as there was not enough slack built into the circuit to allow them to go around the window framing. Of course, it's night time and dark, so that ain't happenin' 'til tomorrow when I can turn off the power and still see what I'm doing.

So if things go smoothly (what're the chances of that?) ... today entails a trip to Lowe's for some lumber and other supplies, some minor electrical work, framing in a box for the window to rest in, mounting it,  and then, THEEEN ... MAAAYYYBBEEE ... getting the garage back close to the shape it was in before I got "ambitious".

Meanwhile the garage looks like it was hit by a tornado. It actually looks worse NOW than when I started yesterday afternoon!

No comments: