Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2011

got wood?

I have been perusing Craigslist a lot lately. I check the "free" section everyday, because, well,  you never know. I also check for a couple other specific items I am hoping to catch a deal on.

Today there was an ad for free firewood right here in Newport. The guy listed maple, oak, cedar, and pecan as wood that was available. Almost all of it had the branches cut free and been sectioned off. The guy told me he had 3-4 truckloads and someone just needed to come by and pick it up.

Kewl! We set up a time and I went over and loaded up a truckload.

As it turns out all he had left was a bunch of maple (apparently someone came got the other stuff and didn't want maple). That was fine with me.

I mostly wanted some stuff to turn with. I have turned maple before and enjoy it, so whatever was unfit for turning will become bonfire wood, as we have plenty of firewood already for next season.

Here is what I wound up with ...











I need to work my axe a little, but it looks like it's bonfire time.

2 comments:

OneFaller said...

you might get a couple decent pieces out of that pile... I've got some wood that I need to rough turn, assuming is hasn't already cracked all to hell.

edsrockin said...

actually i got two large logs (about 8-10" in diameter and about 2' long and 3 or 4 small sticks about 4" diam. and a foot or so in length that are in the garage now (also have some cherry and red cedar that came with out load of firewood, as well as some of that birch i cut off -- when you coming down? ;j )

there likely is some pieces i can steal off the "bonfire pile" but many have been on the ground so long they have rot or cracking. many of the cracked pieces look to go all the way through. too bad b/c there are some nice spalted pieces there.