Total Pageviews

Monday, April 25, 2011

a pane in the (gl)ass

I got the frame for the garage window done and mounted yesterday, but was unable to hang the window by myself. Melissa and Megan were out on a hike and didn't return until well after dark. They agreed to help me with it this morning.

It is no wonder I had such a hard time yesterday. The three of us together still took about an hour to get it aligned to the frame. We sure won't be hired as carpenters! We jostled, grunted, grumbled, and muscled it until we finally forced it into place.

The research I had done suggested removing all siding adjacent to the window area prior to hanging it. I can see why! 

I would have done so if the sheeting wasn't 22' long. I really didn't wish to take a whole side of the garage off to put up a window.

We had to push the metal siding out far enough to squeeze the window between the window frame and the siding.  It was quite a tight fit, but I didn't want it to be loose enough to leak, so it was sort of by design. This was enough a pain in the ass to do the first time -- I definitely don't want to have to do it again in a year or so because the window frame rotted from leaks. 

Once the window was in, I thought the worst of it was over. Famous last words! 

We had to pull the siding out far enough to be able to mount the window (using screws) to the window frame. Prying it off caused a few rips and tears but nothing a little silicone wouldn't fix!     ; )    

Once the window was secure, we had to again put the siding back *inside* the window trim. This caused *more* tears. Sigh! more silicone!   

Once the siding was tucked back in, all that remained was laying on the silicone. Now it is just waiting on the rain to make sure that I have no leaks! Once that has been established, I can put the walls back on. Anyway, here are some pics ...











2 comments:

OneFaller said...

what's great about that is when you're sanding, you can have a fan in the window, pulling all the dust out.

I think it looks great!

edsrockin said...

thanks man. i am just glad it's in! ; )