Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 10, 2011

gettin' pretty good at this ...

Last night was yet another brew night. Heh, at this rate I better get some more bottles -- soon.

This was another clone recipe but this time I have never tried the beer. It looked like it would be pretty good, though, so figured I would try it. It's called an Alpha King Pale Ale from Three Floyd's Brewing Company based somewhere in Indiana.

I am really getting the hang of this brewing. Lord knows I am getting plenty of practice.   ; )  

The preceding paragraph refers to how I got my timing down. I got everything cleaned up and sanitized and started one pot with 4 gallons of water and set that on high to boil. I put just under two gallons in the other pot and brought that up to 155* to steep the grains.

I steeped the grains for 30 minutes and that was about the time needed to get my 4 gallons to reach boiling temperature. I added the grain tea to the 4 gallons, added my extract and first hop addition, stirred, and let it boil away for 90 minutes. There really was nothing else to do with this one. Two hop additions at the start of the boil and one at the end.

This did require a late extract addition and I just added it when I put in my Irish Moss and Yeast Nutrient. Stirred it for 10 minutes, added my flavoring hops and stirred for 5 more.

I set it in an ice bath and got the temperature down to 80* within 20 minutes; then aerated and pitched the yeast. This morning it was already bubbling in the fermenter. Again, I must be getting pretty good at this.  ; )

No comments: