Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 24, 2011

it's hip to be square ...

I spent the day out in the garage again. It still doesn't look any better, though, as this is what it looked like this morning ...


What absolute chaos!

First thing I did (after taking pictures) was to get the wiring re-routed while there was daylight. I thought I had to redo two circuits -- a 110V line that powers all the outlets in the garage and a 220V line that goes to the compressor. The 110 line was put in by a licensed electrician. I did the 220 line. 

I was upset with myself last night because I didn't leave enough slack in the 220 circuit. I make it a point to leave extra line in *any* circuit -I- have ever run because you never know if you may have a problem (broken connection or whatever) that requires just a little bit more wire to fix. It's better to leave a little during installation than risk having to replace a whole circuit later because you are short 1" or so.

Anyway, so I removed the plywood "walls" that cover the breaker box, only to find that I *DID* leave some slack. Cool! Now I won't have to do a junction box for this one, just push the slack down the line and make room for the window. The 110 line only needed about a six foot run, so no new junction box needed, just rerun a longer piece of wire that went from one outlet to the next, leaving enough slack to work around the window.

After I got that done, it was a quick trip over to Lowe's to get some lumber and hardware supplies. As soon as we got back, I started cutting up the boards. I got everything cut before had to put supper on, so after eating all that would be left is assembly and clean up.

I got everything framed up and was absoultely shocked that not only did the window fit in the hole, but the hole was within an 1/8" of being square. I am NOT a carpenter by *any* stretch, so was quite tickled when I noticed I was that close. 

I nailed everything together to get this ...


I was equally pleased to find that the window frame is near perfect level as well. Damn, I either did something really right or really wrong. 














Tomorrow, I need to cut the hole in the garage for the window, mount the window, silicone it, and then I can work on getting the garage back. I almost dread putting in the window, because things have gone too smoothly. ; )


Boy it sure is crowded in there!

1 comment:

OneFaller said...

sweet!

it turns out that you actually *may* be a carpenter! :-)