Total Pageviews

Monday, November 29, 2010

Monday, Monday

So apparently TV got so bad today that Dad turned it off. No, seriously, he did! He promptly asked me "do you want to go to Knoxville?" Well as lame as it is to get out of the house BECAUSE of TV, at *least* he got out of the house! We rode over to Knoxville and had no issues getting there.

We had been planning to go for a while now. Partially because, we have held onto a coupon from Woodcraft for $10 off when purchasing $25 worth of stuff. We didn't really *need* anything from there, but a free $10? from Woodcraft? Why not?  I sure ain't gonna argue!

We also have been discussing going over to Knoxville to the homebrew store to see their stock and what they had, since my Christmas present from him is a homebrew kit. So we were going to find out options while there.

I have been to Woodcraft enough times I can get there in my sleep. We got there and I figured I could get a container of Tung Oil (a finish). Last time we were there, they had it, but it was $20 and I wasn't hitting Dad up for that! I figured this time we could get it and drop another $5 and get that $10 rebate.

WRONG! they didn't have it! Gah!

Okay, another "high dollar" item they have i had been wanting but wouldn't ask Dad for was Abralon sanding pads. These are supposed more effective than normal sandpaper. However, since there is a discount involved, seems worth trying.

I pick up an assorted pack of them for $17. With the $10 discount that's $7 ... but still ouch! We still need to find $8 worth of merchandise to qualify for that rebate.

At one of the woodturner meetings I attended, there was a guy who adapted to the piece he was working and formed a lighthouse because things didn't work out as he planned. Dad was uber-impressed!

Knowing we needed another $7 to finish out that rebate thingy, I suggested to him we find a blank large enough for me to turn him a lamp in the shape of said lighthouse. He was onboard with that!

So I tell him to find a piece of wood that he would like me to turn for him. This man, post-stroke, is NOT the same man he was previous to it! He cannot/WILL not make a decision. He tells me twice to pick out something, I persist, that this is NOT for *me* to decide and that he will have to make that call himself.

He finally comes up with a piece of rosewood, but that was only after looking at the selection, knowing I WASN'T going to decide, and saying (at least he DID decide on something) he didn't want to spend that much cash.  He would not have chosen that had I not made a stand and forced him to decide. I don't get it, is indecision a common post-stroke behavior?

Okay we finally finish up there and head over to the homebrew supplier. Or so I thought! I have no luck finding it, so I stop at a liquor store thinking maybe there is someone there that knows where it is. Again, no luck!

While I am looking through the phone book ... AGAIN no luck! the guy working the counter looks on the internet and it turns out I wrote the wrong address down. DOH!

Well, okay, while here, Dad wants a bottle of Andre Dry champagne. Nope ... sold out! yeesh! 0 for 2!

So anyway we head towards the RIGHT address to find the Ferment Station which is the homebrew supplier. Once found, we are dismayed (well *I* am) that it's fuggin' closed on Mondays! Damn this ain't our day!

With total dismay I turn the truck back to Newport. I decide to stop at (one of) the local liquor stores as we are still searching for Dad's Andre. Nope .... UNBELIEVABLE! now 0 for 3! Can you say Tuesday? or Wednesdday? or ANY day ending in day so long as the prefix is not MON?     ;)

(as a footnote, we DID find Dad's Andre at one of the stores and we picked up a 12 of Fat Tire for me, not a total loss!)

3 comments:

Missy said...

a bit of a run around day but at least you were running around and not vegetating

Lori said...

Well, since the homebrew place wasn't open, you now have an excuse to get out of the house again when you go back. :-)

edsrockin said...

indeed lori. and we have to go soon. i have a brewkit on the way. as of this AM it was in TX, so hopefully by mon. or tues. i should have it here.