Total Pageviews

Friday, November 5, 2010

I love these moments ...

Heh. Here we are, Dad and I, just being *totally* stupid and horse-laughing at (mostly) nothing. It is pretty sweet!

Of course alcohol has been involved, but it's all good. I treasure these moments. Not so much when Dad and I have been drinking, but the simplicity of just the two of us being .... us. It is far too rare these days!

We don't need alcohol but it helps 'break the ice' so to speak. Tonight both he and I are drinking. Again, not that it's necessary but somehow the drinking breaks down barriers/walls he and I have already built over the years.

Sure, there have been times this has turned ugly, but that is mostly due to his bitterness with being "less" than what he expected and me being every bit as stubborn and hard-headed as he has taught me to be over the years. Yeah, it gets ugly. Perspective, damn I need to hold on to perspective.

These rare moments that ain't always going to be at my disposal. I can recall many days that  I used to regret sharing my bedroom with my snowbird grandfather, Lyle. Great guy, but as annoying as the day is long. When he was with us, I, sadly, didn't appreciate his company as much as I have since his passing. (okay for context, I used to have to share my teenager bedroom with the man -- roll away bed, and guess who got the roll-away?)

I am lucky in that respect with Dad. I don't regret him nearly as much as I did with Lyle. Lyle was a character, don't get me wrong. Dad is too, but somehow in my ignorant youth I found Lyle to be more annoying than Dad, as much as Dad can be annoying (and for those not 'in the know' ... Dad is quite annoying at times).

It's all good. I am just happy that this night doesn't bring near the aggravation last Friday night did.

No comments: