Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Take a hike, eh?

Since returning to TN, my buddy Sean and I have been meaning to get together to go hiking again. We typically get together to go to shows, but since we both have an affinity and respect for nature, hiking has become another "excuse" to get together and enjoy one another's company.

 I don't know what it is, but when the two of us get together, we really struggle making a decision on details. I would like to believe it is just a matter of trying to be respectful of each other, but the lack of committing to a time, etc. really makes things "difficult" sometimes.

 I arrived back in TN in February and we have had *all* spring and summer to make this happen. Here it is mid-fall and we just now are getting to it.    

There is a show coming up in Knoxville next Friday that is free if you have a ticket and the band is Filter, which we both like. He got an email from the Disc Exchange stating that on Friday (yesterday), they would be handing out tickets. Well, now we got a date.   

We both like waterfalls, so that was easy. What wasn't is that there are *tons* of them in the area. I mentioned one in central TN that was supposed to be pretty impressive that I knew of and while out on a motorcylce ride in the area one day I tried to find it, but never did. This suggestion won over the otherwise indecisiveness, and now we have a date and destination -- just need to figure a time.   

We finally come up with me meeting him at his place at 9-ish to allow us to get to the Disc Exchange when they open at 10. So now  we (finally) nailed down a date, time, and place. There's progress!   ; )   

Anyone who knows me, knows promptness can be an issue. I tacked on the "ish" to account for my normal tardiness. I arrived at 9:30. Hey, that's "ish", right?  

He is ready and we are soon on the road. We arrive in Knoxville and score a pair of free tickets for the Filter show, and while there, we also buy a pair for the upcoming Apocalyptica show in December.   

That done, we head further west towards Rock Island State Park. After a couple hours' drive we pull into the visitor center grab  a trail map and find the trailhead.  

The one stipulation Sean made was that he didn't want to do a strenuous hike. Being quite out of shape, I am on that program, too. Of course, the sign at the trailhead says "strenuous".  Heh. We have come too far to turn back and try to decide on another place to go hike, so we soldier on. The only strenuous part I noticed was the ascent and descent down into the gorge. Otherwise, it was just a matter of scaling rocks ...
I am at home in that arena, sadly Sean, as I found out, is not so confident of his balance.

The day was absolutely perfect. Sunny, cloudless, blue skies, and temperatures in the low 70s. I had brought my sweatshirt just in case, but it spent the whole time wrapped around my waist. There were many out enjoying this beautiful weather at the park including this guy and his dogs ...    
The trail we took required a river crossing to get the best vantage point of the falls. There was one spot where most folks were crossing, but it meant crossing wet rocks and a wet log. Not exactly confidence inspiring.


There was a group of about a dozen or so folks working the crossing and as precarious as it was it took them about 10-20 minutes to do so. That was enough time for Sean to decide he wanted no part of crossing.


With the strong rush of the water at that point, the slick rocks and tree, it was intimidating, to be sure. Add in Sean's lack of confidence in his balance, and I could totally respect his decision.


He studied the trail map and found another trail we could take to get to where we wanted to go. Still, I wanted to cross, just to do it. I told him I would cross, then come right back.


Knowing we had to backtrack, and not wanting to hold him up, I began studying the area to find another way across. I spied what looked do-able and set out at it.

I was going across the spine of a rock ... teeter-totter-teeter-totter, regain balance, small step, repeat. You see where this is going, don't you?


You guessed it. I lost balance and both feet instantly submerged up to my knees.


My boots are "waterproof" but there isn't much you can do when the water level is above the top of your boots. Soaked socks, shoes, and jeans up to my knees.


Patience is a virtue, and would be a dry one had I any.   ; )


By now, everyone had made the crossing and so I decided to cross where they did. I got across and back without incident, but it was still a little nerve-wracking -- not sure why, though, as I was already soaked by now.


Anyway, we start backtracking, and I notice a narrower crossing and the rocks are close enough to hop across. I ask if he felt comfortable with trying it here and after studying it, he seemed okay with the idea. Either that, or else he was just tired of hearing me try to goad him across and gave in.    ;  )


That crossing was easily made and we are now re-backtracking towards the falls again. We found a road cut through the trees and followed that. We even hung out, so to speak at a couple spots along the way ...

 We soon arrived at the falls and they were indeed impressive.
                                                   It was difficult to capture the scale
                                               This also seems to be a fun spot for the kayakers




        
We came across this "fall" on the way in, but others were there doing their own photo opps, so we waited until we were going out to take ours



All in all, a fantastic day!

2 comments:

Missy said...

wonderful pictures, i am glad you and sean got to enjoy this great weather.

Brian said...

Awesome shots of the falls. I bet they are huge, at least you got a few shots with folks in them to show how big they really are.

I love that 2nd or 3rd shot of the 1st kayaker with his dogs playing in the water, they ALL were having fun.