Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 31, 2010

short and sweet .....

no, not the blog. The title refers to the ride I took today on Dad's ( '07 'wing with a sidecar), which I affectionately call the land yacht, due to its behemoth size.

The previous two times I have been on this bike have been ... interesting. The first time was the ride home from first picking it up in Knoxville (about 40 miles) and the second was just a 3 mile run up to the nearest vacant parking lot to practice.

Both times the rig had lifted as I entered into a right hand turn. Both times, this freaked me out and I hit the brakes. And, both times, I have been pushed hard to the left and have not had enough strength to counter it. Luckily, both times I have been fortunate enough not to get hurt, or do any damage to anyone or anyone's property.

I have since been able to figure out that if I shift my weight closer to the sidecar when entering a right turn, it doesn't have the tendency to tilt. I also figured that the front brake seemed to be my biggest issue. When I clamp down on that, the bike pushes to the left. I have learned to shift my weight and use less front brake (which is so opposite of how I handle a normal motorcycle).

Still, to say I am a bit intimidated by this machine, is putting it mildly. I have easily logged about a quarter of a million miles on a two-wheeled motorcycle and feel I am quite proficient at it. I expected that the hack'd 'wing would be different, however, I guess I just didn't realize *how* different it would be.

Isaac was able to tend to Dad for a couple hours today which freed me up to go acquaint myself with this beast. I planned out a route that would entail about 80 miles of four-lane type U.S. highways that should limit the amount of hard right turns I would encounter. That was the plan, anyway.

This area is abundant with nice twisty mountain roads that are perfect for motorcycles. That is one of the many reasons I love this area. However, until I get into a comfort zone with the land yacht, I have no inclination to hit those just yet.

I set out to the same vacant parking lot I practiced at before (again, it's only a few miles away) and did some more circles. This time, however, I played with the suspension settings, both on the bike and on the sidecar. I have read that a good practice for learning control of a hack is to "fly the car" -- this means to ride the bike on two wheels with the sidecar in the air.

I tried that with some success and once I felt a bit comfortable with the car lifting, headed out for the road to do my little 80 mile run. The weather was absolutely perfect for riding. The skies were a beautiful blue and without a cloud to be seen anywhere and the temperature was in the mid-70s. Just perfect!

I am riding along US 321, which had recently been repaved and was smooth as a baby's bottom. Everything is going along fine. It seems the suspension settings I picked in the parking lot are really working out.

Left turns are no problem. However, every single right turn I approach has me nervous. None of the rights I faced were hard rights, but just the same, my nerves are wracked.

I am on 321 for about 25 miles. By now, I am settled in, and even the right handers I face are not as bothersome. Cool! I am starting to settle in.

So much so that when I come across a state road (that I have been on before and know it is not very straight, but not real technical either), that I decide to take it. This road is nearly empty, and I am just tickled for that fact!

The road does have some moderately tight turns and sequences. There were a few warning signs with the squiggly S indicating a series of turns with some labeled as 25 MPH and others as 20 MPH. Ordinarily, these signs bring a smile to my face when I am on a bike, but on the hack, not so much. However, this is just what I need to get over my fear/intimidation.

I did fine. I am still cringing as I enter the rights, but I never once crossed the yellow line. I certainly need more time on it, but I seem to be gaining.

It was only 80 miles, but every muscle in my upper torso is sore from muscling that heavy pig around. However, it's a happy kind of sore. I gained some confidence on that bike today and feel that a couple more outings like that and I will be able to set Dad in the sidecar and get him back 'in the wind'.    ; )

3 comments:

Missy said...

321 and you didn't come up to see me at work!!! SHAME!! sadface... want some practice, come up here are take on this driveway! i am glad you got seat time. hope you and dad can get out there before it gets too cold.

Curtis C. said...

It sounds like you're have a great time Ed. And learning some new stuff too!

edsrockin said...

woman wtf makes you think i went SOUTH? nfw i am going to that rathole you work. you should know better. ;j