Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Over hill, Over Dale, My Lust for Adventure Will Never Fail


So, I made a run today to grab some brews for me and an oil filter for Cloud9 since the oil needs to be changed prior to the Tellico trip. i HATE dealing with the closest dealer, because I went over there one afternoon and they wouldn't sell me what I needed. I was there FIVE minutes PRIOR to their closing but they wouldn't bother. I told them they could keep the change, but again no sale. No sale indeed! from ME *ever* again!

So, I usually head over to Knoxville for parts, but heard of a place in Asheville called "Bruisin' Ales" which is a high gravity beer store (-- context, I live in NASCAR coutnry, where we have BOTH beers Bud AND Bud light!). Well this Bruisin' Ales merits looking into! 

Since I was needing an oil filter anyway, I checked to see where the dealer is in Asheville. It turns out to be on the same road as this beer store just a couple miles further up the road. SWEET!

So I head across I-40 as time is somewhat an issue. About 20 miles into NC the interstate is a parking lot! SHIT! 

After sitting in it for a few minutes and watching the KLR's temperature gauge rises closer and closer to the H(ot) mark. I decide to jump off on the exit that was conveniently right there where I was stuck in line.

Once down to this road (that I have no idea where it goes, but at least I'll be moving), I see a sign pointing the direction to NC-209. Really?!? I mean ... really? I have to take *this* road? HORRORS!  (grin)

I get to 209 only to find I had missed all the fun parts (as in too far south). I had two options -- either go north and hit the fun stuff to backtrack, which would take me to US 25/70 -- the road I needed in Asheville. Or I could just head toward I-40 and hope that it was beyond the traffic backup. 

I chose the latter and, as I crossed the I-40 overpass, I realized it was a good choice. There was *no* traffic. NONE! it was all still up the road I guess. Suckers!  (snicker)

I find the bike shop, get the oil filter, get out, and head to the beer store. I arrived there without issue, as well.This is odd, because I ALWAYS, ALWAYS seem to get lost at least once when in Asheville. Not complaining, just observing! There were no problems this time and I browse their selection of fine craft beers and settle on a couple bombers that look good.

Okay, I get those stowed away and am once again on the road. There are some nice twisties along this route and I have become quite familiar with them by now. ZoomZoomZoom! fun stuff!

I have seen Google try to route me on a "shortcut" for this route before, but I always miss it as I'm riding along enjoying it. This time I see it in, time, and turn to take it. The road's called Rollins Chapel Road and doesn't really save much time or distance, but it's different than what I normally take.

Here is a link to the route I took home (it may be good to refer to this, for context, as you read along)


The "shortcut" is supposed to start at letter B but Google deleted that after I added point C. Whatever! Basically it is the left turn off US 25 (just before TN-107).

So anyway, I turn onto Rollins Chapel, but apparently when given the opportunity to go right or left I chose left, which in retrospect didn't take me where I thought I was going, and I wound my way to point C. Long before hitting point C, I saw my favorite sign when on the KLR. It brings as much a smile to my face as the "S" sign indicative of a multiple-curve road ahead when I'm on the street bike. This sign said "pavement ends" -- time for the KLR to shine (as much as it's capable) (heh -- good at many things, great at ... NOTHING!).

The common sense voice in my head (YES, Virginia, there IS one, I just usually choose not to listen to it) said, "wrong way" but the inner adventurer said "so?" So off we went. 

For the most part, itt was easy hard-pack gravel and I was doing it all in 2nd or 3rd gear at about 30-40 mph except for some of the tighter turns where visibility was limited. On a couple of those turns I kicked the rear wheel out a little --not enough to touch a foot down but enough to notice. Then I began climbing ... and climbing ... and climbing! I was beginning to think I would never reach the top, but knew if I had, it would be epic! 

I came to an intersection and could either continue climbing or head downhill. Curiosity killed the cat, and it may well be the death of me as well, but I went up.

I found my way to the top at long last and there was an abandoned firetower there. KEWL! 

I parked the bike and climbed up to the top of the tower. The view was .... AMAZING! 

For my adventurous spirit, I was afforded a nice 360* panorama offering a sight like what the Cherokee must've been able to enjoy once upon a time. It was absolutely beautiful! and here I am *without* camera because I wasn't planning to do anything but asphalt that I've already seen before. Heh!

By now, I am absolutely clueless as to where I am at, as the road has wound around many times by now. I figure it will turn out ... SOMEwhere! and once it does, I'll figure it out then. The neat thing is there were many options along the way that I could explore further if I can ever find my way back there -- but at the time I did not have the time nor a phone to bail my ass out when (NOT IF) I did something stupid and no riding partner to help WHEN (not if) I did. 

Somehow point C on the map connected to point D on the map (Google doesn't recognize any "road" there). Point D is about 30 miles earlier (and further away from the house) than the turnoff for my "shortcut". Only me!    LOL    That shortcut cost me nearly an hour and a half and maybe a gallon of gas, but it was fun, so no biggie. 

I am now on the same roads I was on earlier and am hauling the mail, trying to recapture some of that lost time. When I got back to that "shortcut", I briefly entertained the notion of trying to go back and take the right turn, but I guess every now and then the voice of common sense DOES win out and I took the way I *knew* home. 

No comments: