Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Today, Dad wanted to go look at a car that was posted in the local Craigslist ads. I guess he has empty garage syndrome as he sold the Mustang a couple weeks ago and feels the need to fill that void.


The roads were mostly passable, especially once we got out onto the main roads. However, getting there was a little dicey. Nothing I couldn't handle, but a couple times the rear would spin. Let off gas, catch traction, hit gas, and so on.

Headed back home, I saw the following ....


The light on the right side is a "rainbow". It is poor quality because it was taken with my cheapie cell phone.

It was strange because there was no rain in the area. It had been sunny and cloudless all day long until now. We have snow predicted for the whole week, starting tonight so these clouds are snow  clouds.

Anyway, as we progressed down the road, I noticed a couple more of these "rainbow"s. I keep using quotes because as mentioned there was no rain.

The other (there were two of them) "rainbow"s were along the same radius as the one pictured above and just bordering the clouds which had now surrounded the sun. Basically it was the sunlight being diffracted through the clouds and the resulting light beam had "prismed" into a rainbow-effect.

I could see nearly 270* of the ring. It was as if the sun had it's own halo in rainbow color.

Pretty cool! Never seen anything like it. I wish my phone camera had a  wider field of view or that I had my camera on me to better represent it.

No comments: