Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 8, 2011

mmm mmmm mmmmm mmmmmm mmm ... tasty!

I bottled my first batch of beer two weeks ago. From what I read the early end of when you want to sample your brew is about that time frame. So without further delay, I put two bottles in the fridge on Thursday evening, knowing that Dad and I would be able to taste it the next day.

He wanted to go over to Knoxville so we loaded up and were en route by 2:00 or so. I figured since we were over there, I would ask if we could grab another beer kit since my primary fermenter *is* empty and the secondary will be available within a week.   ; )    He agreed so long as we could do what was on his agenda.

First we hit Lowe's to look for some linoleum for the new addition. We had checked at the local store earlier in the week, but they didn't have anything to Dad's liking. The Knoxville store, however, had a bit more  selection and we found something he thought was okay and got out of there rather cheaply (considering our usual foray into Lowe's).

Next it was off to the brew supplier. I needed to get another hydrometer, since I had carelessly bumped the one I had onto the floor when I racked my bock into the secondary Thursday night. DOH! So I grabbed another hydrometer and another kit, an IPA this time, which hopefully will be my next to last kit. I intend to get a porter next time and then will go freestyle after that. Lord help me!   LOL

From there we headed to Woodcraft to see if they had gotten the stuff I wanted last time we were there but didn't have in stock, only to find they still didn't. So I placed an order for it and was told it is on backorder and I won't see it until Feb. 11th or so. Yippee!

The other stop we made was the impetus for Dad's yearning to go in the first place. He wanted to get more fish for the aquarium. He got five more fish for the tank, a suction pump (for cleaning) and some fish "treats" (basically bloodworms  and shrimp flakes) and I think he spent more here than at Lowe's.  

Among the fish he got was a black ghost. These are interesting fish -- they are like a spine with one long fin underneath that is moved side to side to propel them through the water.

These fish like to hide, though. However, a clear plastic tube is sufficient for these fish as they think they are hidden if inside it.

So Dad asks if they have any tubes. The guy waiting on us said they have some, but none as big as the ghost he just purchased. He said they could order one. I asked if we could just have the one in the tank the ghost was in -- since it's not being used anymore and they could take the one they ordered. He said "no".

I don't understand that at all and to say this irked me is putting it mildly. I mean, they are going to get a shipment of them in, and the one in their tank is no longer being used, WTF?!? So you're telling me that you want me to come back over here (a 40 mile one-way drive) to get one when it comes in because you won't sell me the one right now that you are no longer using? Fuggin' ridiculous!!

They better be glad it's Dad's money and not mine! I would've left the damn fish there and said something like "you won't see me back here again!"

Customer service is a big deal with me. I would pay more for an item if the service at a place is good. That was bad business in my opinion.


Finally! Finally we get to head homewards. I have been giddy all day -- anxious to get that first taste of my first batch of beer. I know it's just beer, but I was pretty psyched. I realize how silly this sounds, but oh well!

I started brewing this about a month ago. I have nursed it along through its stages, it was now time to taste the fruits of my labor.   ; )

However, once home, I had to unload the truck, get the fish settled in, and get dinner going. This only added to the antici- .........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................pation!  (Rocky Horror reference   ;)       )

Okay, truck unloaded, fish swimming around and fed, dinner in oven. FINALLY! FINALLY, it's time!


Heh, I had to *force* myself to snap a picture of this before taking a sip. No easy task since I had been wanting to put this to my lips all day long. Okay picture taken -- TASTING time! YAAAAYYY!!  LOL

I was impressed. It was quite tasty. This is from an English brown ale kit that we got.

I added some roasted pecans and some mocha coffee beans (slightly crushed) to it as the grains seeped to try and add a little more complexity to the flavor. I'm not sure that was effective as I didn't notice any apparent mocha or nut flavor to it, subtle or otherwise.

It turned out more like an amber ale, much akin to Fat Tire, but just not as bold. It had a nice complex, caramelly flavor to it.

I was quite pleased, but it needs to sit in the bottle a bit longer as the carbonation was a little low. It shouldn't be long, though, maybe another week or two as it was pretty close. I intend to hold a six of this back and try it in two months to see how it changed/matured/aged.

No comments: