Total Pageviews

Friday, June 29, 2012

week of weakness ...


WEAKNESS, indeed! I think the last I wrote here was after having that great run with Phil that left my ass in severe pain. That one beer at Phil's favorite local pub started the excuse to drink a few other times. Of course, Phil sending me home with three brews he bought at the store and told me "you should try this!" really put the kabosh on any discipline i MAY have had!

So anyway, the Sunday after the ride I drank a Little Sumpin' Sumpin' (no really, that's what it's called) with dinner and followed with another beer for dessert. The Sumpin' Sumpin' was better than I expected and actually pretty good. Gained weight (oh and I did on Sunday's weigh-in as well)!

Monday evening, had a beer that he sent in a can. I typically stray from canned beer, but coming from Phil I knew it would be good. It was a Deviant Dale's ... OH MY! that was really, really good! Gained weight!

Tuesday, I had company and so I drank a couple of my homebrews. Again, gained weight!

Wednesday, I had the last of what he gave me with dinner. One more beer, one more day of gaining weight!

By Thursday and Friday, I was out of everything I had stocked cold. Yet, still gained.

On Father's Day Megan gave me a ticket to the Knoxville Brewfest. I wanted to go last year, checked the prices, and decided I didn't want to go *that* bad. Megan pulled the trigger and got me the ticket. I did really good, I think.

I know I stopped my gut reaction which was a look of constipa .... errr ... consternation followed with an emphatic "WHY?!?!?" heh, I am on a no-beer diet and I get tickets to this. I suppose with that in mind, I allowed myself a beer every night figuring the week was shot to hell anyway. I continued doing the normal exercise ritual but there's no denying beer's toll on the scale.

While my reaction may not have been good, I *know* it could have been worse. So it is now Saturday. I went to the brewfest but had I gone alone I would have only been able to drink 3 beers over 3 hours. I conned Megan into going and we would grab a Designated Driver bracelet for her. Nope, when we got there, it was cash only (who carries cash anymore?) and it was $20 -- for her to walk around bored to tears -- $20!

Luckily it was in a part of the town that had plenty to do within walking distance of where I was. She opted to go read a book in the shaded patio of a nearby coffee shop. With the heat of the day, she probably fared much better that way.

Meanwhile, I set about keeping my palate busy. A smorgasbord of beers -- and many I have never seen available locally before. WOOT! Got to try many tasty, tasty brews and have a few new favorites or "what to look out for" selections to pursue.

Megan and I closed out the evening by sharing a pizza at Barley's and I chased it down with a couple Ranger's. Again, gained weight, but only a pound so that wasn't too bad considering the consumption level (maybe a six pack worth at the fest and 2 more pints at Barley's).

So that week off the wagon cost me nearly 6 pounds. Here it is 13 days after that first beer and I am ALMOST BACK to that same weight.

I had a beer a couple nights ago with dinner and the next day's weigh in was 2 lbs. down. Cool! bottle that up for me folks, I can work with that!  ; )

No comments: