Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 7, 2012

hot n sweaty with a side of "oh yeah!"

Last night I hit up a show. I had seen all three bands on the bill before. Oddly, I wasn't going for the headline act and if it wasn't for the other two bands on the bill, probably would not have gone at all.

I have seen the band Kyng 3 times now, all in Knoxville, each time at the Valarium. The Valarium is a great venue for a show, but it's just insanely HOT! There are fans but they are mounted so high they do little to circulate any air. Anyway, Kyng puts on an excellent show and it was the main reason that both Sean and I wanted to go.

Kyng is a talented trio from California. Without a doubt, one of the most amazing drummers I have ever had the opportunity to see bang the skins. Sean described him as an octopus. It sure seems like he has eight arms! and they are flailing about at a wicked rate. My focus was drawn to him throughout the show. What an amazing talent! The bassist and guitarist/vocalist are also very good, but the drummer is just phenomenal.

They had a great set, but being the opening band, it was over all too quickly. Being the third time seeing them, I am getting quite familiar with their songs. I have also heard them get some love on satellite radio, so that is good. I would like to see them do well.

After their set, I made a point to hit up the merch booth and grab their CD and do the meet-n-greet thing (something I *rarely* do). Cool buncha guys!

Up next was the band Fair to Midland. I have seen these guys once before. I have one of their albums so am familiar with them. They are ... hmm ... ODD! No other way to describe them. Talented, but odd!

The vocalist began the show by grabbing the mic off the stand with his teeth, raising his arms and screaming into the microphone (which he would do often throughout the show). Whereas my focus was on the drummer for Kyng, the vocalist and his epileptic antics demanded my attention for FTM. I have said it before (last time I saw them) ... he is a fucknut! What an odd duck! Entertaining to watch though.

They really brought down the house. They were allowed a nice, long set and just rocked out the whole time. It was a much better set than the first time I had seen them. About midpoint of their set, I am just drippin' in sweat ... and *stinkin'*! Aside from the stinkin' part, that is a good thing.

When their set was over, I needed some water and then Sean and I went outside to get some "air" in hope that the night air would be a bit cooler. Not so much! there seemed to be no break from it.

Then 10 years finally took the stage. I had seen them a few years back in Nashville. They were the headline band on the second stage. This was just before they were signed to a national deal. Their set at that show was okay, but since they are a local band, I was curious to see them play in Knoxville.

Sean and I were content, and could have left at any point. Neither of us are big 10 years fans, but decided to stay since he didn't have to work this morning. The crowd responded well, but I just wasn't feeling it.

After the "throwdown" of Kyng and Fair to Midland, 10 years was anti-climatic. It wasn't a bad show, but it was like they didn't belong on the bill. Their music is a bit more melancholic than the other two and while it was a good set, it just didn't match up to the earlier performances in my mind.

Again, I went for the two opening bands, so bias and preference certainly factor in here. What really shocked me is that a mosh pit got started for 10 years. A mosh pit? Really?!? Where was this for the other two acts? The style of the other two bands was more apropos for moshing.

I wasn't so much shocked there was a pit for 10 years, as I was that there hadn't been one going all night previously. Meh!

The pit was pretty active, too. Security came over and had to either lecture or just remove some of the bad apples. Again for 10 years?

It was a great show and although 10 years did a good job and put on a good show, they just didn't "fit" the bill. The other two acts overshadowed their performance, in my opinion. Man! I love live shows in a small venue.

I did my weigh-in this morning to find that I had sweat off the two pounds needed to get me to the 20 down mark. Now, I am not even halfway to where I want to be, but am tickled to have dropped off that 20. I put two of my homebrews in the fridge for celebratory sipping this evening. I haven't tried these yet, but the last time I brewed it, it turned out pretty well.

No comments: