Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Fighting temptation ...

The group that I occasionally ride with was putting on a Bar-B-Q for all who were interested in attending. The guy that oversees/founded the group is a really great guy and I do enjoy his company. He is quite a character.

I checked with Melissa and she was free today so it was arranged that someone would be there to attend to Dad. We tried to get Isaac to come over so that Melissa could go with me, but he couldn't bring himself to make the sacrifice.

Anyway, I have not gotten my lazy ass out to the garage to bleed the brakes on Cloud9, so I would be taking Ms.Chif -- besides, it was her turn. And she let me know it! She was cranky and didn't want to crank over. It took a few minutes and then the engine finally fired up. I think she was telling me that she doesn't like to be ignored.

I had set up a route that included Parson's Branch. I have heard about this road before and had never tried it. It is a one-way gravel road that stretches from Cades Cove and terminates onto the Dragon -- right about in the middle. Where the cookout was being held was not far from the entrance of Cades Cove and also was not too far from the Dragon, so this seemed like the perfect time to hit it -- especially since I had the KLR.

I took the near direct path -- not BECAUSE it was the direct path, but because the route had some nice roads that I enjoy riding. This is the route I usually take when riding to Tellico. It included River Road (TN-73) and I really enjoy this one because it meanders along a winding river for most of it and is in the shade.

The problem with this road is that it is almost always riddled with traffic. Today, though, although it was kind of busy, the slower motorists tended to pull over when a line of traffic started forming behind them. That's the way it should be. That is why TDOT spent the money to put them there. It's about time some folks are getting it!

After River Road it was Cades Cove. Now typically, I steer clear of this area because it is nothing but a slow loop of rubber-necking tourists ooh-ing and aaah-ing over the deer and other wildlife that are in sectioned off acreage. It's basically like a large zoo but with some room for the wildlife to roam. It's nice ... ONCE! but going <10 mph on an 11 mile loop is no fun to me.

However, the only way to get to Parson's Branch is to endure Cades Cove. I finally got to the turnoff for Parson's Branch and was able to wick it up a bit with some confidence of no oncoming traffic since it is a one-way road. It's gravel, but it's pretty easily navigated.

I am zooming along when I see dust up ahead. I close in on two vehicles stirring it up and am motioned around them as I was going faster than they cared to. Cool, I can do that!

Most of the road was pretty tame (compared to what I had been running on that bike) except for this one long climb. It has rained on and off the past few days and yesterday we had a really good storm move through. Where the gravels were thinned out, it was a bit muddy. I pinned the throttle, stood on the pegs, and went for it. No problem there either.

There were a few water crossings but they all were about an inch deep at most and running over concrete so there was no need to stop and survey the best line -- just go! I was hitting most of these crossings at about 20 mph and just getting my feet wet.

After the second crossing there was a little trail branching off to the left that had a mudhole at the entry point and then wound off into the woods and went ...... SOMEwhere! I looked at it ... HARD!

I wanted to take it. I really did! and if I had ANYone with me, I would have. I was a bit intimidated to try it as I was alone and without a cell phone should anything happed. So it will have to wait until another time. 


I kept on going and the road has some switchbacks and climbs and descends and a few more water crossings and I'm just having about as much fun as I can on a gravel road zooming along.


Then I saw the asphalt and knew I was at the Dragon. Already?!? That road could've been twice the length. I turn north on 129 and again, am scooting right along.

This is my second time doing the Dragon on the KLR and I tell ya, I am loving it! This bike is an absolute hoot to wring out.

The first time on it, I oscillated between 1st and 2nd gear and was wringing the snot out of it. This time, I was going between 2nd and 3rd gear and probably averaged 55 mph on that road.

I had the road to myself. There was no one going northbound ... NO ONE until I came across one slow rider and he must have seen me coming and slowed down more and waved me by. This must be my day! I happily obliged!

I was hitting the corners in a very good rhythm and got my picture taken a few times. I cannot wait until they are posted. I was feeling it. Here are a few links to some of the vendors out taking pictures ...

(hit the next button to get to the next photo)

 6 shots (446-452)

10 shots (1468-1476)  and 10 more shots (1477-1485)   -- these guys really liked me   ;j

and a botched corner .... 6 shots (897-902)     at 900 you can see i am (or at least part of me is) clearly on the wrong side of the yellow line. DOH!

Next up, was a trail I had found on Googlemaps that was marked "trail" and it paralleled the Foothills Parkway. I figured I could ride that "trail" and then get on over to the Parkway and then connect to 321 and head over to the cookout. Not so much!

I found the "trail" just fine. It was a power line servicing trail and ... it was gated off. Bummer, the start of it looked pretty fun -- a rocky climb. I was studying it trying to see if there was a way around it and decided against the idea. Good thing too, because there was a cop up the road and probably within sight of that "trail".

I turned around and picked up the Foothills Parkway. Not a bad thing, this is a fun little stretch too with awesome views of the terrain below. There isn't much to tell about the rest of the ride. I got to the cookout and hung out with some folks and grabbed dinner and even was able to resist some of the yummy desserts that had been brought. After everyone left, Dan, his wife, and another guy hung out for a half hour just shooting the bull and then we all headed to our respective homes.

I only logged about 170 miles, but it was good to have some seat time and to get to hang out with Dan again. It was funny, at one point he said, "Wow! Twice in one year" (meaning we seen each other twice so far) and then followed with "Oh wait this is the third time!" It was good to see him and his wife again and to see some others and meet a few more.

Most of all it was good to get out and burn some fuel and arrive home safely --- AND without any grief from Dad upon my arrival.


2 comments:

OneFaller said...

discretion is the better part of valor. trails, alone, are probably a bad idea. :~)

edsrockin said...

HA! discretion. i do as well with that as patience. i think the only thing that kept me from taking it was the experience of what happened last time i went trail riding alone. ;j