Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

the christening ...


Yesterday's weather was forecast to be about 80* and mostly sunny. So I got the 1250 out for a bit. Man! that thing is so smooth it's dangerous! It never once "felt" fast, although you would look down at speedo and be like "whoa!"  


So I am in dire need of chain lube as I had used the last of what 
I had on the 600 when putting on its new chain and sprockets. I headed up to Morristown to the local shop I deal with and grabbed a can of Chain Wax, applied it and then headed over to Knoxville to grab some brews for later. From there, I would decide where to go.


With those "chores" done, it was time to go ride somewhere. I decided I would head down to Hunt's Lodge and bug Lori. The easiest and funnest way is to head down 129 (besides the  Dragon will be  all mine -- it's Monday and early in the "season") so that's what I did. Anyway 129 goes right past the airport and it is pretty common to see an airliner up close and personal as it comes in to land. It's not an international airport, but it is always busy. 


As I went by I noticed out of the corner of my eye (they would be taxiing in from behind me when headed south) I see what doesn't look to be a regular passenger liner... at all. I look over and it's one of the Blue Angels coming in, and right behind him was another. The second one passed right over me as i was in that tangent to the runway. I could see the innards of the landing gear he was that low. It was pretty cool!


Once I got to the dragon, i saw that the photographers were out so appraently it's not that dead but I still had a relatively free run of it. On a whim I turned left on NC-28 and took it all the way down to 64 (I still LOVE that stretch of 28 between 74 and 64). It's so fun I cannot resist going there if in the "area". 


I figured i could cut back west on US 64 to pick up TN-68. However, you got to really love both of those roads to incorporate them on the same ride as that hour long slog on 64 really has you questioning why you went this way.  


Upon reaching 68, I once again had the road mostly to myself. Those times I did approach slower vehicles, just one blip of the throttle and it was no longer an issue. Yeah baby! 


That 3 mile stretch just to the north of the creek as you are gaining elevation in those wide sweeping turns is just too much fun! I admit I think I may have been in violation of the speed limit in this section. ; )


When I got up to the campground, no one was there. So I left and headed across the Skyway, and then one more run up the Dragon. A couple of those turns on the Dragon had me exiting at 55 ish and another at 64 this thing is dangerous-smooth! 


I was fast, but it didn't feel it. I never touched a peg down at any point yesterday, but the speedo kept telling me I wasn't slow. 


Just before I got to the Dragon I could see the skies to the northeast were rather dark ... well, black, and there was really no way of avoiding it. Crud! with such a glowing weather forecast I didn't pack any rain gear at all. 


I could likely minimize it by slogging through it going north, or head east. If I went east I would likely get caught in it twice. So I went north.


It was about a half hour or so of steadily sprinkling. Once I got north of Maryville though it cleared out and the rest of the ride home was dry and rather uneventful as it was dark by now. I just slabbed it on home from Knoxville.


I am really impressed with how smooth this bike is. You never really feel like you're going too fast nor that you are out of control. I missed a couple entries but this bike is so forgiving you can power out or just lean it a bit more to counter any misjudgments. 


It's so smooth in fact, it got named. I now call it Cloud9 because it is just that smooth. Plus it puts that Cloud 9 grin on my face so she has been christened.   ; )

I have yet to get it over 7K RPM. I don't feel the need to. It really delivers well up to 7K and after 5K things start happening  ... FAST!! I am sure with more miles I will explore it's capabilities more. 

4 comments:

Deacon Tale's said...

iMr eD,
I know tha doesn't stand for Erecta..... Disfunctio...... LOL. Because with a bike like that one you'd almost never not have one LOL ! Great write up pal. But alway throw your wet gear in your bags on every dry day. You just neber know! Yack at cha later.

deacon

edsrockin said...

hey rog ... it was a matter of priorities. the 1250 has no side bags nor a top bag so i had the tank bag. i bought 3 beers (one a full pint) and i would not be able to fit the rain gear in if i got beer. sooo ...

Anonymous said...

It is always neat to peek into the inner workings. In this case rain gear versus beer. Clearly, you made the right decision Ed. Sounds like you are growing into your new bike. I look forward to having a chance to tag along.

Tim

edsrockin said...

tim if i can make it happen, i am soo there! as for the decision, i was willing to get wet to score those 3 beers so yeah, the decision was made prior to leaving. only problem was rain was unexpected. i don't balk at anything below 80% rain. at that point i start to listen. we got a mostly sunny (didn't see percentage) and i went with it! still ... in retrospect ... that was the way to go. i am introducing a dear friend to 2 beers he has not been able to get -- i'd ride through a torrential downpour for that. so good to be on THIS end for a change! ;j