Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 5, 2011

oooohhh .... one of my favs

So I brewed again the other night seeing as I had an available primary. This time it was another clone kit but maybe one of *the* best "ales" I have ever had -- a Highland Gaelic Ale. I am sooo hopeful this comes out real close to the original. If it does, as with my Mighty Arrow clone recipe, it *will* be repeated!

I got everything cleaned up and put two gallons in each pot and hit the oven burners. To heat 2 gallons up to 155* (steeping temperature) takes about 20 minutes on our stove. Then the grains need to steep for another 45.

However, this easily gives the other pot time to bring my other two gallons up to boiling temperature. In the meantime, I swirl around the grain bag trying to extract every bit of grain flavor I can.

After that 45 minutes, I add the extract, while stirring, and bring to a good rolling boil. I then add the other two gallons and my first hops addition. I put two more gallons on to boil, as I have figured out that it takes 6 gallons to make 5 gallons of beer due to evaporative loss.

After another 45 minutes, I add some yeast fuel and Irish Moss. Ten minutes later, my last hops addition and turned off the heat 5 minutes later.

As it is becoming more "spring-like" outside, one of my bags of ice was half melted by the time I needed it. GAH! Oh well, I worked with it, but admittedly, it took a bit longer than usual to cool it down.

I racked it over into my primary and took an OG sample. I got a reading of 1.042 -- which was a bit low -- but I have read that full boils do affect gravity readings. However, this was the first one I have done where my OG was low.

Oh well, I imagine it will still taste fine. A lower gravity beer just means that you get to drink more, right?  ; )

I then shook the hell out of the carboy to further aerate it, and pitched my yeast. I checked it yesterday morning and fermentation had already started.

It's so great working with the same yeast over and over. This was the quickest start of fermentation I have experienced yet. I set the carboy in the closet at 1 AM, it was bubbling by noon, maybe earlier (the carboy is kept in Dad's closet so I couldn't check until he got up).

This brew will likely be the hardest (other than the first one) for me to allow to mature as I want to sip on this one ... BADLY!!    ; )

2 comments:

OneFaller said...

sounds like you're really getting the hang of this! I can't wait to sample.

edsrockin said...

dude, this one *I* can't wait to sample. it still sets in the carboy awaiting bottling. longest i have let a brew set on its yeast cake. i have learned a bit of patience. ;j