Total Pageviews

Monday, March 21, 2011

AMAZING show

Back around September, I got tickets to see a show that was scheduled a couple weeks before Christmas.. I was soo psyched then to see this band and couldn't wait until the day of the show. The show wound up getting rescheduled and it wasn't until last night that my wait was over.

The band was Apocalyptica. It is basically four guys from Finland whom are very accomplished and talented classically-trained cellists that play hard rock. It is unlike .... well .... ANYthing else.

I first heard of them doing a Metallica cover and that was all it took. I was hooked and spent the next couple hours on their myspace page listening to their stuff. In the past couple years, the radio has started playing some of their music.

They consistently sell out stadiums in Europe. When I had heard that they were coming to the states, I was thinking it was time for a  road trip. When I heard they were going to be hitting clubs, I was in the "have to catch this" mode, and when I found out Knoxville was on the bill, there was nothing short of death that was going to stop me from going!

The guy who was supposed to go with me was unable to make it to the rescheduled show. However, I got in touch with another buddy of mine (we'll call him Jim, so I don't keep saying "my buddy"  all through this long dialogue) whom I haven't seen in three years and asked if he would want to go. He was all about it, so the ticket wasn't wasted at all.

We agreed to meet at 8:30 since the doors weren't going to open until 8:00 and the idea of standing in line outside, and then waiting inside on the opening act wasn't appealing to either of us. As I was parking the car, I got a text.

It was Jim, asking "u here yet?" He had just pulled in a moment earlier himself. What uncanny timing ... and  odder yet, *I* was on time!

We spent a couple minutes getting caught up with one another and headed to the building. As we did so, we were dismayed to see that the line we didn't want to stand in was still formed and not only that but stretched all the way around the building.

It looked like it hadn't moved. Yeesh! so much for "doors at 8"! Oh well, more time to get caught up before the noise level inside the building inhibits conversation.

By the time we had gotten in, the first band was about done with their set. We got to see one and a half songs. Which is a shame, because they sounded really good. The song we only caught the latter half of had  a decent little jam session and they were tight!

The band's name is ARC and they are a local Knoxville product. I will have to check them out. Jim  mentioned they sounded like Dream Theater and I found it hard to argue. The comparison was pretty solid.

Up next was Down From Up. Prior to the show, I was excited to see them on the bill, because I have heard some of their stuff when the radio station does their local music show. I had forgotten, that I have seen them before. Too many shows, I guess.

My buddy had talked them up because he had seen them play a long time ago and said they were really good.  They were okay, but I think the band opening was better. The lead guitarist got some solo time and was up there doing his thing, but it was all flash.

There was no "soul" to it. He was talented, but just didn't seem to have direction with his solo.

My buddy couldn't stand it and said they were no where near as good as he remembered. He went out for a smoke. I like to watch all of the show, so stayed where I was.

While he was out, the singer asked are there any Zeppelin fans out there? and then they broke into "Whole Lotta Love". It was funny, I remember thinking 'it's been done before' and wasn't too enthused, but they really did a great job with it and kind of made it their own.

It was about this point when Jim came back in and said "this is the Down From Up" I remember. They did a couple more songs, but the Zepp cover was the highlight of the set, in my opinion.

Jim wanted another smoke, so we headed out during the break between sets. It was kind of neat. I felt like a geek with the anticipation of finally getting to see these guys and while we were out there, Jim says, I can't believe I'm going to get to see Apocalyptica. Well at least I wasn't the only giddy one.    ; )

They took the stage and 800 people came to life! I was really impressed with the crowd. The show didn't get a lot of media advertising on the local radio station. The band isn't anywhere near mainstream popularity.

Yet, those that know of them and were close enough to make it, knew they would be in Knoxville. More importantly, the people there WANTED to see these guys and were definitely fans. That always makes for a good show.

It was within the first few minutes of them taking the stage that you knew this was going to be unlike anything else. I really am at a loss for words (how often does *that* happen?) to describe it.

I have seen hundreds of shows over the years, and I cannot come up with any adjectives or adverbs to do the show justice outside of just ABSO-fuggin'-LUTE-LY A-MA-ZING! that's all I got! I was blown away.

They played really well together and the set of songs was really well arranged also. They brought in a vocalist to sing the songs that have gotten airplay and do have singing to them. During the Metallica covers, the crowd would sing the words. It was really a great vibe and the music was just incredible!

Man, I hadn't seen a show in months and was long overdue! It was a great night and got to spend it with a friend I hadn't seen in three years. Perfect!

No comments: