Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

the void ...

Damn, I miss riding! I have for a while, really, but tonight, it just hit harder than normal. I watched a silly little video clip that a buddy posted -- which is actually a Geico commercial. In it, there is a guy who talks to the camera and discusses what riding means to him personally.

It wasn't just the dialogue of the guy in the commercial that got me yearning. It was the video footage they showed of him riding through the twisties. It got the blood pumping, just watching it!

I am used to logging 10-20 K miles per year on a bike. I find seat time quite enjoyable, and almost an "escape". When I am on the bike, nothing else matters. At the end of a ride, I feel refreshed and at peace. It's hard to explain.

Over the past two years *combined*, I have logged less than 5000 miles -- TOTAL! Pretty Pathetic!

Ever since being "sidelined", I have steered clear of watching motorcycle videos and that has worked for me. When I clicked on the link tonight (all 1 min. 30 sec. of it), I had no idea what the content was, just that a friend of a friend was "starring" in it.

I am not bitter about the situation, but I do feel like part of me isn't there anymore. I think I actually *need* to ride, not just enjoy it.

I suppose I should at least be happy that the ability to ride hasn't been taken from me, as it has with Dad, but I cannot help but wonder that when I DO get back on the bike, what my skill level will have eroded to. That is in itself somewhat depressing.

I have found no other activity that does for me what riding does.

2 comments:

OneFaller said...

your skills will have eroded. but it's like, well, riding a bike - you never forget.

Don't worry, man... we'll wait for ya at the next turn.

edsrockin said...

thanks buddy.

point is, yeah i will get some of the skills back, but reflexes? will they still be as "sharp" (that is if they are indeed sharp now LOL)