Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Leaf Peep '13 part II

Tim Schwab (a fellow maggot, and much adored friend), who is currently stationed in Afghanistan, was supposed to Skype the campground Saturday morning. I have a great appreciation and respect for Tim, as does just about anyone whom has had the privilege to have met the man. I, for some reason, had the impression he wasn't calling until between 9 and 10 AM. Umm ... NO!

He called at 8:30 and, while I was up and moving, I was doing my own thing, I had no idea (1) what time it was, and (2) that he was calling *that* time of day -- despite the fact that Lori put up a couple signs. Ugh! it SUCKS being stupid! As you can guess from this progression ... I missed (most of) the call. 

UGH! What a way to start the day! (NOT!) My only other goal of the day was to meet up with a buddy of mine, Brian.

If you read much of my drivel, you will know that he and I have been *trying* to get together for far too long and it just hasn't happened. Now that I have missed Tim's call, my only mission is to be at Suches (at the new TWO -- now TWoS) by 1 PM. That's two hours away and very do-able. 

"Lori and gang" had a spread of eggs, bacon, hash browns, biscuit and gravy casserole, and goetta laid out around 9-ish so I was sated and ready to roll in time. Chris Pope was headed down 68 (same direction I needed to go) in order to get home in time to allow his wonderful wife to go to a concert. The timing worked for me, and we arranged to ride some before he split off. 

This is my route on Saturday: http://goo.gl/maps/NoxOI  -- and it's an "ultimate twisties type route" comprised of many of my favorite roads in Georgia.

Chris and I headed out and are enjoying our pace. There were some vehicles to deal with, but they were quickly dispatched, until we came to a road crew repainting the double yellow lines (like that is effective). Now there is a line of vehicles to contend with.

Chris is in the lead and we work our way through it, but one of my moves didn't go over well with the two lone motorcyclists in the line. Chris had enough room to jump both bikes and the car in front of them. However, I did not. I jumped out when he did, and when a car came around the bend, I tucked in between the two riders.

The lead rider, a girl, turned around and gave me a glare. Not a look, a *glare*! She .. was .. pissed!

Whatever! I didn't put anyone in jeopardy. It may have looked that way to her as I DID make an abrupt merge in between them, but that was to get into staggered formation quickly. I was ready to pounce on the next opportunity, but she obviously didn't want me between them. When the chance to pass came, she was all too happy to see me go as she aggressively waved me by. Again, whatever, I was already going!

Shortly, thereafter, and to his loss, Chris split off. There was no noticeable traffic along GA-60 and that road is pure bliss -- ESPECIALLY when you're not hindered by traffic! (If you opened the map, zoom into spot B and look just how much fun it is)

I got to TWoS about 12:30, about a half hour earlier than our proposed meeting time. As much as I have caused others to wait, Karma was shining!

Boy! was it! At 1:30, I'm concerned. Brian is typically NOT late. Now it's 1:40 and no Brian. F*ck!

He pulled in 10 minutes later. I was giving him until 2, before I headed out.  I have no phone so he has no way to contact me were something to go bad.

Luckily, he showed up before I left, and heartfelt, long overdue, greetings were exchanged. He has a new-to-him Harley we ogle over for a few minutes and then he orders lunch. I hold off since I had such a big breakfast and want to save room for what Lori (and gang) are planning dinner.

After lunch, and some catching up, it was time to ride. It's now well after 2 PM now and time is tight with the route I tossed together.

So we use GA-180 as a connector to GA-348 (or Richard B. Russell Road). This is another nice stretch of asphalt. To sweeten the deal the Georgia DOT had just resurfaced the south part of the road. I get to the end and shut the bike off and waited to hear a Harley lumbering through the mountainside.

He showed up a few minutes later smiling. He admitted he was really having to work that heavy pig, but was enjoying the ride, and even confessed "the last time I rode roads like this, I was with you". Hang on there, buddy, you ain't seen nuthin' yet!   ; )

A couple more connectors and we are GA-197. This is another gem.

It's not technical, twisty except for a short stretch on the north part of the road, but it's fun and scenic as it borders a part of Lake Burton. At the intersection of US 76, I pulled off and waited. I figured this would be a good stop point to let him get his nicotine fix and to just chat in general. We hung out for about 10 minutes or so and then got rolling again.

We were in need of gas and Clayton was close by, so that is where we went. We had two options at this point and I laid them out to Brian. We could take US 441 north to Franklin, which would be quicker, or we could take Warwoman Road to GA-28. This will take longer, but would be "more fun". Brian replies "I like fun" so onto Warwoman we go.

Warwoman gets a bit tight in spots the closer you get to GA-28. It's a great piece of road! We hit that stretch and his Harley is no match to keep up with my Bandit.

Once again, I wait at the intersection and he comes up smiling "That's the best road yet!". I kind of laughed in my helmet because I know what's next --GA-28, and subsequently, NC-28.  (Again, if you have the map open, zoom into the area around point "E")

More twisty bliss! Aaah! and, again, no traffic! This is unreal! The weather is tailor-made for riding!

I feel rather blessed to have these wonderful roads to attack at my own pace. Life is good!

We pulled into Franklin, NC about 6 PM or so, as I recall. I was thinking we were about 90 minutes or so from the campground. (I have made it in that time before). We are going to be late for dinner, so I borrow his phone and call Melissa. Thanks to Isaac, she was able to make this SME. Her phone went immediately to voice mail. I later found out she had no service there. Oh well, I tried to call.

We resume our northward assault on NC-28, in what is my favorite stretch of the road. Again, I have a free run of it. With this luck, I feel like going to Vegas, or something! For starting off on a bad foot, it sure got better quick.

The sun is now setting low on the horizon, and we still have to head west. Yuck! going across the Skyway with the sun in your eyes is NOT fun! We are on the Skyway a bit before 7.

I told Brian I was going to be hauling because I wanted to get off the mountain before it was dark and that I would wait for him at the bottom. The only benefit to riding the Skyway at this hour is this ...






After a couple shots, I mount back up and boogie on down the hill. I pulled over at one of the overlooks on Tellico River. I shut off the motor because I know it will be a while. It was 7:30-ish when I shut down.

I wait. And wait. And wait. And am getting seriously concerned.

It is pitch-black dark now and this is getting worrisome. It is past 8. I wait.

Dammit! I don't want to go back up there! Ugh! please let me hear a Harley, please let me hear a Harley! nothing!

I am getting ready to fire the bike up and go back up there expecting the worst, when I *finally* hear him coming down the hill. Thank God!

He informed me (NOW) that his night vision is *really* bad, so he was putting along at a very safe pace. Additionally, some Buick had come over into his lane coming around one of the curves and totally freaked his shit out, so now he is going even slower!

I was just glad that he was still okay. Like I said, I was beginning to think the worst.

We pulled into the campground around 8:30. I grabbed a beer, hunted down Jacob and we played our traditional game of cribbage. He was tired, so it was kept to one game. After that, the usual lies were told and good times had until people started filtering off to their perspective cabins/tents.

No comments: