Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Eight is not enough ...

A few weeks back, I was checking the site of one of my favorite bands to watch live, checking their tour dates, as I tend to do from time to time, in hopes that they will be coming around this way. They haven't been in Knoxville for 2 years, I think (and, yes, I was there).

They always throw down and the response and energy level exhibited for their shows has been unparalleled to any other show I have had the privilege to be a part of -- especially in Knoxville. I have seen  Sevendust play outside of Knoxville twice and the show wasn't as "electric" as it has been in Knoxville. EVERY time in Knoxville they rock! period!

It just so happens they were due to play here last night. I made arrangements with Melissa to go and my buddy Sean was also able to make it. He and I have seen many shows together and even have seen Sevendust a for a few of those.

The website of the place hosting the show, stated that doors opened at 7 and the show started at 8 PM. We got there about 15 minutes before the show was due to start to hear the first band already on stage. One of the best things I like about going to see a show with Sean is that he is as interested in watching the opening acts as I am. Sometimes, you get to see some good talent on the opening circuit.

This seemed to be the case as the band American Fangs was onstage as we walked in. We got to see their last song of the set and it seemed that we missed a great show. Bummer!

This was the first time I had been to NV (this club's name). It *used* to be called Blue Cat's and I enjoyed *plenty* of shows there, but it closed for a long time -- in fact, the first time I saw Sevendust it was at Blue Cat's.

I was a bit jazzed when I found out we were going to the "old Blue Cat's". However, I hope they do a better job in the future of getting the right information up on their website than they did for this show.

The next band up was called Digital Collapse. They come out with a rhythm guitarist, lead guitarist, drummer, and a singer, but no bassist. This was the first band I had ever seen that didn't have a bass guitar. The drummer was real good and carried that side rather well. Overall, they weren't too bad.

Next up was a band called Serosia. I could never get into their stuff. There were moments when you think they are really going to "hit it" then it paled off. There were times it seemed that the members of the band were playing different songs. They just didn't seem to be playing together very well.

The roadies had the stage setup for Sevendust rather quickly, but all that did was build the anticipation level of their arrival as the time between sets didn't shorten any. While waiting someone blew up a beach ball and it started being bounced around among the crowd. I haven't seen a beach ball at a concert in *years*!

Finally the house music stopped and the setup music for the band started. Sevendust still milked it a bit though, and soon the crowd started chanting "Se-ven .. DUST, Se-ven .. DUST, Se-ven .. DUST! ...". The place was packed by now, and I think the capacity is 600-700 people.

They took the stage and broke into "Decay" to start things off. As I mentioned, there is always an electric atmosphere every time they come to Knoxville and you could tell already that this time would be no different. At the close of the song, LeJon (the lead singer) commented on the energy level and how much they love coming to Knoxville.

I don't believe this was just pandering to the crowd -- it felt genuine. It's a great moment when the crowd feeds off the band, and the band feeds off the crowd. It is like a snowball rolling downhill -- it keeps gaining. That is precisely what happened!

They played for about 90 minutes and the mosh pit was active, there were kids crowd surfing, and the musical onslaught and energy was amazing. I arrived home about an hour *after* they left the stage, and was still a bit pumped.

This was the eighth time I have seen them live -- six in a club setting in Knoxville, and I am already looking forward to #9.

No comments: