Total Pageviews

Monday, September 30, 2013

scrubbin' tahrs!

This spring I took the KLR to Tellico and have made the decision that I will take the KLR one time and the Bandit the next. Well, it was looking as if I was going to have to violate that premise this time as the Bandit has a rather bald sidewall of its front tire. I could get to and from Tellico, but would be unable to ride while there, and what's the fun in that?

So I either needed a new front tire or would have to take the KLR. I really wanted to bring the street bike this time. I asked Dad if the timing was okay to order a new front tire and he told me to go ahead. It arrived last Friday. 

I finally got it over to the bike shop to get it mounted yesterday. I gathered a jack, a board, the tools I would need to pull the wheel and secured them to the bike. I then put the tire around my waist, and we're off. 

Oddly, when I get there the shop monkey is a guy that I've gone caving with. Small world! 

We caught up a bit while he mounted the tire. He has been getting to do some racing lately and we talked mostly about that. Man! I want to hit the track sooo bad!

Once done, I handed over $30 (that included the $5 to dispose of the tire) and went about mounting the wheel back on the bike. Ten minutes later, all is buttoned up, I am cleaned up, and headed down the road. 

I really had no idea where I was going. I knew I had to get back home at a somewhat decent hour as Melissa had a Scottish-Irish festival she wanted to go to. Hmm ... I pointed the bike back towards Newport thinking I will just head home but take the scenic route. 

I haven't gone down TN-160 in a long time, but I do recall a short, but fun twisty stretch along the road, so that seems a good option. Now, the first 100 miles of a new tire, you aren't supposed to be aggressive because of the rubber is really slick from when it comes out of the mold. I have often wondered how much there is to that. 

Well, I am zipping along and it's quite a piece of road before hitting that twisty, fun stretch. I have had no traffic to contend with at all. 

I get about a half mile from it and ... BOOM! a line of cars. [sigh]  Oh well, looks like God is trying to save me from myself.   

I file in line and am soon in Newport. My gas light is beaming at me and I have enough to get home, but was thinking about heading over to Knoxville to grab some beer and further scrub off some of that mold-slickness. I filled the tank and where I was at, there is a road that I have been curious as to where it goes, but never pursued that curiosity.

Well, I have time to kill and a fresh tank of gas. Why not? 

I point the bike down that road and after about 10 miles it deposits me right back on 160 just before I reached that nice, twisty section that I had to follow the cars through -- except this time there's no traffic! SWEET!

I kick up the RPMs a bit and dance through the curves with a mildly aggressive approach. Once again, I'm back in Newport, and this time I do decide to head towards Knoxville. The road to Knoxville isn't all that spectacular, so am just "logging miles", so to speak.

However, I figured on the way back, I should have nearly 100 miles on the new tire and can take a fun way home once in Dandridge. I duck onto TN-92 and that is a nice 15 mile run that twists and turns it's way over a mountain. 

Sadly, though, there is a Nissan something-or-other in front of me. I figured when I got the opportunity I would dispatch of him. Notsomuch. He was moving that thing pretty well. He knew the road and was hitting about 50-55 mph through it. I just stuck to his tail and was enjoying that pace. 

Then we came upon a slower vehicle. As soon as there was a straight enough section to see, the Nissan guns it and pulls a double yellow pass. I figure "what the hell?" and drop it two gears and follow. It happened fast enough, that I could pull back a little more on the happy handle and pass the Nissan as well while at it. 

He didn't seem to want that to happen and we raced towards the upcoming curve. I beat him there and got back in my lane and whoa-ed the bike down to a safe entry speed. He stayed right on my tail through the first two turns, but I started to pull away.

I had the RPM's up and that motor was a-singin'! the adrenaline was pumpin', and my heart was racin'! It was awesome! 

I never did totally lose him, but I did put some space between he and I. My turnoff came up far too soon and when I noticed he wasn't going that way I gave a little wave to him as he continued on. That was fun and if it weren't for him, I probably wouldn't have been pushing that hard. I can say the tires are scrubbed now.    ; )

No comments: