Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 2, 2013

a Memorial weekend?

(haven't had internet so this is just NOW getting posted.)

I had a rather productive Memorial Day weekend, of sorts. I have had some lingering issues since Tellico and I focused on lining them out..

First off, the KLR headlight was not working towards the tail end of that weekend. I had tore into it briefly a week or two ago only to find that it is blowing fuses. Yippee! I *love* chasing down electrical issues! (rolling my eyes)

SO I got around to tearing off the plastic fairings and gas tank with the intention to follow the wiring harness from the fuse all the way to the headlight. I did just that and could see no visible signs of breakage or a short. Wonderful!

I pulled the wiring plug from the headlamps and installed one plug, put in a new fuse, turned the key and have headlight. Okay must be the other circuit, so I hooked that plug in and turned the key …. and have BOTH hi and lo beam lights and the fuse is still holding.

WTF?!? all I had done was remove plastic and the gas tank. (shrug) So I reassemble the whole thing and fire it up and still have lights. Alrighty then! I ran it up the road flogging it a bit trying to create some vibrations that may cause it to act up again. Pulled back into the driveway and it is still working.

I am totally not convinced it’s fixed, but for now it’s working. I reckon there is little more to do than wait to see if it happens again. I guess it *could* have been that the fuse that I initially replaced was bad, but am doubtful that that was the problem. Time will tell!

After that, I did another “band-aid” fix by placing a shingle over the hole in the bike shed (from where the tree fell on it a couple weeks ago). Again, not fixed, but works for now.

Then Sunday, I looked through the tractor manual to see what type of fluid and how much would be needed for the PTO. The box blade is stuck in the raised position and will not lower. It has been that way since Skip helped me remove it when it was stuck.

I was so glad to get it out of the hole it had been in, I was not too concerned with the box. However, the driveway is getting in really bad shape and I need to get the box blade operable, so I can grade it.

While perusing the manual I found that there is a locking knob that disables the lever from operating the PTO. I turned the knob and voila! the lever now operates the box blade. YAY!

While on a roll, I went ahead and looked at Dad’s trailer. The lights are not working (YAY more wiring fun! [another eye roll]).

I can see that the wire is cut. Cool! a simple splice should fix it. I did the splice and no joy! I also noticed the ground wire was frayed. Okay so, I fix up a jumper to have ground. I now have one brake light but no running lights. Ah well, this will have to wait.

Melissa has a lot going on right now, but she knew I have been trying to get a ride in here lately. Originally, it was to try and meet up with this other guy who keeps finding a reason not to go. Sunday evening she told me – scratch that! INSISTED – I go ride Monday. She said “you need this!” I LOVE that woman!

The weather was absolutely gorgeous! Blue skies without a cloud present and the mercury was a a very mild 70* as of 10 AM. I figured I would head north into Kentucky as it has been a LOOONNGG time since I rode up that way.

The plan was to take TN-70 all the way up to VA where I would catch US 421 for a while. I haven’t been on that section of 70 since I was riding with Ozzie and Georgette some 5 or so years ago. 70 is great once north of Greeneville.

The first stretch has some very fun roller-coaster curves. Some of it kind of tight but *all* of it up and down and curved with banking. It really feels like being on a roller coaster. Good stuff! I have a grin pasted to my mug beneath my helmet!

Additionally, there is NO traffic. NONE! This is too good to be true.

For the longest time, I have had confidence issues and tend to lightly tap the rear brake prior to entry – even when I do not need to. It is rather annoying! However, I was really tuned in to what I was doing and noticed that I wasn’t using that security blanket except in the blindest of curves.

Once you get about 10 miles north of Rogersville, the road gets even better. There is a mountain pass there and this is the part of the route I was most looking forward to running.

I hit the first couple 20 mph switchbacks a little assertively and was feeling a good rhythm as I began the climb. About halfway up, though, I encountered a slowly moving line of three cages on my side of the road. UGH! The curves are *really* tight and sight lines are minimal to non-existent.

There is no way to sneak past all three in one swoop. I just filed in line and cursed in my helmet as I painfully *strolled* through those tasty curves.

However, *this* was the only time all day I got stuck in “traffic”, so I shouldn’t complain. I had the roads pretty much to myself and when I DID encounter another vehicle(s) it/they were easily dispatched. I was averaging between 60 and 70 mph every time I looked down at the speedometer – ALL the while on twisty roads. AWESOMENESS!!

I had to stop for gas up near Hyden, KY and it was out in the middle of nowhere. I needed gas so I was glad to see it. As I was walking in to pay (no card reader at the pump), I saw a sign in the window stating “Honk if you are glad your electicity is coal-powered” Heh! welcome to coal country.

I grabbed a candy bar and a drink and took a break. It was definitely the only game around. It was rather busy. Oddly though, it was more busy with four wheeler ATVs than it was cars or trucks. I saw 5 or 6 four wheelers ride in and only 3 cars/trucks – and one of those was hauling a trailer with 3 four wheelers on it.

That part of Kentucky is four wheeler heaven. There were plenty of trails off the main road going every which way. Heh, there were times I was wishing I had the KLR.  ; )

After finishing my candy bar, it was time to dance again. Cloud9 and I took off with vigor and resumed our pace. Again, the roads were empty and this part of Kentucky is rife with sweeping curves that offer sight lines that allow you to twist the wrist, and that’s exactly what I did. ZOOM ZOOM!

I got to KY-66 which runs through the Daniel Boone Nat’l Forest. This was the main reason I decided to come this far north. I *love* this road.

It is tree-lined and parallels a river. It repeatedly wends and winds its way through the forest … and again, NO TRAFFIC –  more ZOOM ZOOM! Fantastic!

I pulled into Harrogate, TN and visited with a couple friends for a bit. After a far too short visit it, I pointed the bike to do the hour or so ride to the house. As I pulled in a little after 7 PM, Melissa was warming me a plate of food. Did I say I love that woman?    ;)


What a fantastic day. Had beautiful weather, no imperial entanglements, no butt-clenching moments, and 350 miles of fantastic riding! It don’t get no better!


[update: I looked over the trailer wiring again a  couple days later, I had to tip it up on it's side to see it, but there was another frayed wire along an "unnecessary" loop. I cut out the bad spot, spliced everything together and voila! All lights are now perfectly functional.]

No comments: