Total Pageviews

Monday, November 21, 2011

one step closer ...

So the restoration of Pearl from oblivion continues. I got the chain for it earlier last week but hadn't made it out to the garage to do anything about it until yesterday. Partially due to timing, and partially due to apprehension. Chains are my nemesis!

I already had the new sprockets installed. They are steel! -- soo happy to get away from aluminum. There really wasn't a steel sprocket on the market for this bike with the gearing I prefer, but after having to replace a bunch of aluminum sprockets due to short life span and probably bad maintenance habits, hopefully this setup should last me a bit longer, even if I have to lose a little torque.

I unpacked the chain and threaded it around the sprockets, made a measurement, and used Dad's chain breaking tool. Damn! why didn't I just bite the bullet and get one of these years ago? That was the shiznit! Before I was using a Dremel to grind off the nubs and then a hammer and punch to push the pin out. This was too easy!

Apparently it was. It has been so long since I did a chain, I forgot to advance the wheel all the way forward when I cut it. Oh well, better to have it too long than the other way around. Besides, with the chain breaker, it wasn't that labor intensive anyway.

I got that done and put the rivet master link on and pressed it without any further issue. Then snugged everything up, and gave the chain a good coat of lube. Next up -- carbs!

I had already removed them from the intake manifold and the air cleaner, so it was simply a matter of removing the throttle and choke cables, a couple hoses, and then slide it out of the bike. This was accomplished rather quickly.

I pulled the bowls and the tops and disassembled to dunk them in carb cleaner. Whew! what nastiness! It has been about 3 years since I had last run this bike and the bowls were showing it. Sadly, I didn't know it was going to be 3 years, so the carb bowls were full of gas over (most of) that time. WERE, being the key word here!

Apparently the gas had evaporated and  now there is a brownish-orange rust-looking sediment lining the bowls. I cleaned them out, soaked them, and set about removing all the jets. I was able to remove the main jets and the jet seats on all four carbs.

However, there is another jet that sets way down inside a recess that requires a tiny blade screwdriver to remove. Three of those come out without a problem. The other didn't appear to have a jet in it. WTF?

I kept looking and finally realized there was some goo down in there that prevented me from seeing the slot of the jet. I was able to extricate that matter and then the jet itself. They are now soaking in some carb cleaner.

Melissa come in at some point while I was doing this and the smell of the carb cleaner prompted her to say "It stinks in here". Heh! "No dear, this is how a garage is supposed to smell!"   ; )

Next up is soaking the carb bodies. I can only do about half of it at a time unless I dismantle the rack, which I don't wish to do. So I will attempt that later today. Then I need to get some POR-15 to clean out the gas tank.

*THEN* HOPEFULLY  I will get to hear it run! It's been far too long! I can't wait!