Total Pageviews

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

I get by with a little help from amazing people

I swear I am blessed to have some absolutely amazing people in my life! I don't understand it, but I'll take it.

This blog will likely be everywhere because my head kind of is right now. You've been warned!  ; )

Anyhooo ... Grandma died last Moday. This has affected me in odd ways at odd times, and still does.

Grace was the sweetest person. She lived up to her name to say the least.  I could go on lauding that woman ad nauseum ... as could anyone who had the privilege to meet her.

The plan was to hold her service on Saturday. There was no way I was going to be able to go.

Between cash flow and unreliable vehicles that we just hope get us to work and back daily, there was just no way! Conversely, there was no way we could not be there.

Megan and Melissa started searching for a deal on a car rental. They landed a weekend rate in Knoxville for an economy car that was manageable. However, Enterprise did not wish to pick Megan up in Jefferson City.   ; )  

It was arranged that she would pick it up Thursday night at closing, That way we could leave for Massachusetts  early on Friday.

Meanwhile, Sean and I, were set to go see a band called Nothing More on Wednesday night. It was an early show, so I planned on going straight home after work, shower, eat, and head out. PLANS! HARUMPH!!

I did good. I rolled right past my local bar without stopping (which was packed already). About two miles from home, the bike .... quits! WTF?!?

The KLR only sputters when I need to switch the gas from "on" to "res"(erve). Otherwise, it just putts along. (Sigh!)

I coast to a safe spot to look at it. This entailed hitting the starter button a few times. NOTHING!

Alright! I  break out tools, strip off tupperware, and start looking at wiring. Wiggle, pull, caress, looking for bare or broken wire. NOTHING!

I bump the starter and BAM! had power. By now, I had called Melissa as it is getting late. She had just showed with a cold drink. I wrap stuff up, start up, and it quits again 300 yards up the road.

ARGGHH! There was a church there so I  coasted it into the back and got in the Jeep. The Jeep is not happy, and is now, not charging!

REALLY!? DOUBLE ARGH! or something.

I get home call Sean (Sean is one of those amazing people in my life mentioned above) and tell him what is going oñ and he offers to come get me. I told him I'd be walking. He told me there was no need, but I told him I NEEDED to walk!!

He showed with a cold bottle of water for me because he figured I was too upset to think to grab one myself. Whatta guy!

The rest of the night went great. Always enjoy the time! and Nothing More always puts on a great show!

I couldn't get to work Thursday because of vehicle problems. I determined the alternator wasn't charging and pulled it.

I called another buddy to see if he could come get me and drag my sorry ass to Auto Zone to get it tested. Ron, is also one of those reasons for the name of this post.

He shows up, we head over, get it tested, only to find out the alternator is good. Yippee! now I get to put it back on and keep searching.

I had asked Ron if we could stop by the church on the way back to see if the bike would start. He agreed and understood the impotrance of getting it home that evening.

It wouldn't turn over, so we rigged a tie strap and piece of rope together and he pulled me the two miles to the house. YAY! At least the bike was home ... because of the efforts of an amazing friend.

I slapped the alternator back on, cinched up the belt, and started it. All of a sudden it was charging. Huh?

I didn't "fix" anything, but ...  YAAYY! again. I went to bed smiling.

Had a brand new Toyota to ride until Sunday. It was nice to turn the key and not have to wonder what may happen. LOL

We spent Friday night at my Uncle David's place. He fed us well and gave us crash space fo' free, but what was great was a chance to catch up.

After dinner, Megan and Melissa headed upstairs while David tuned his TV to Velocity. Perfect gear head fodder for car guys.  He has been restoring (read as "collecting") old cars longer than I've been breathing.

It was nice! I don't think I've ever had that much one-on-one time with him. Good stuff.

He fixed us French Toast for breakfast which allowed us a little more time. Sadly, it passes all too quickly. We had to say our good-bye's so we could get to the funeral home.

It was a nice service. Afterwards, there was a get together for food and visiting. I've never been good in those mingling type settings, but I muddled through.

Grandpa died four years ago, and after all the "obligated" stuff, some of us headed to the closest bar and raised a glass. We just had to repeat this honorary gesture for Gram.

I guess a tradition has started. We now have archived footage of how Rockefellers observe a passing. Laughs can help balance the tears from earlier.

We closed the night at Teo's for more family time because that is an old favorite for us. More memories and smiles, I'll take it.

The drive home went fine. I got up Monday and didn't feel like going to work. it would be excused, but not paid, yet I stayed home.

Melissa went to therapy in the Jeep. It quit charging on the way home. UGH! I unplug the negative and put the battery on charge. I will need headlights in the morning.

Or not! After being on charge overnight, the battery is dead. Two revolutions and ... CLICK. Wonderful! Just fuggin wunnerful! I can't stand it!

I text Sean explaining the way things are, I don't think I'll be able to make it to the rock festival we were headed to this weekend because I cannot get to work now and money will be tight.

He tells me I can owe him later for gas and hotel so I won't have to miss out. To top that off, he loaned me his truck for the rest of the week so I can get to work. WOW!

AMAZING, absolutely AMAZING! I am blessed, lucky, undesrved, stunned.





1 comment:

Jane said...

Like these words...