Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 25, 2013

What's in a number?

What’s in a number indeed! It’s odd. (Excuse me while I gloat a bit)
Many moons ago, when I was in high school, my waist size was a 28” with a 30” inseam. Heh! At 6’0” I was a toothpick – a good wind would blow me away! In school I weighed in at 140-150 lbs. (WET!) – and that’s probably a bit generous.

As is with many over the course of years, the waist size had gotten away from me …. BADLY! I was up to a 38” waistband, and …. LOOKED the part!

Fifteen months ago, I decided it was time for a lifestyle change. I dropped the sugary drinks (pop, my beloved southern-style sweet tea – you know a little tea with my sugar, late night snacking, and overall bad choices; not that I eat all that healthy now (you will never see Ed do tofu, etc.), just that I don’t eat unhealthily)

No doctor predicated nor predicted that I needed to do this. I just knew I was unhappy with that Goodyear around my waist and it was time to fix it.

Fast forward to present. I am now (after today’s weigh-in) exactly 40 lbs. lighter than I was 15 months ago when I started to monitor the weight. I haven’t really “fought” to lose it – read as I don’t workout, etc. I have maintained some discilpline (yes, Virginia, I *am* capable of such things) in how I eat and typically I gain and lose, gain and lose. The fluctuations are typically less than two pounds one day to the next, so it’s slow going.
Today, for shits and giggles, I spied some old jeans I had stashed in the closet and decided to try them on. I haven't been able to wear them for about 4 years.

The last time I put on my “work jeans”, I walked out of them. Literally, they fell to my knees. When I’m working, I *hate* a belt. It’s constricting and does tend to weigh on my mind that it’s there (even if it’s not all that tight).

Something had to be done. Again, I tried on those jeans. They were size 32” X 30”.

I’ll be damned! They fit! I was ready to take a deep breath before buttoning. There was no need!

Holy Crap! Can you say tickled? Yep! I am happy.

A loss of two more inches in the waist and another 8 lbs. on the scale and I will be where I want to; but, then, what’s in a number? ; )




No comments: