Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 7, 2013

stupid is ....

(heh) well ... ME!

For about 3 weeks now I have been trying to extract some beer out of one of my taps. It is loaded with a quite clear, tasty Vienna Lager. So much so, in fact, I had been hitting it rather hard.

However, for some reason, it has only been filling at a trickle for the past couple weeks when I pulled on the tap. Hmmm .... thought it may be low initially, but usually you don't get any notification. You pull it, it fills, next pull, nothing but spittin' and a head of foam, and ... you're out!

So anyway, it's been at a trickle. I had no idea why, just that it was a very SLOOOOOWW draw ... basically a steady drip. This takes some time to fill a glass. Not the best thing when you're thirsty.

You would think that maybe I am out of CO2, but no. The other tap flows well.

HMMM! .....

Well, tonight I decided to figure out why. It is one of a few things since it's a simple system. It's either out of CO2 (since other tap is working fine then not likely); a clogged line (the lines are clear and you can see (*some*) flow, so ... no!),  or the tap is clogged.

I put a brush through the tap. Drew on it again and no better than what I already had. (scratching head) A closer look reveals that the valve to the keg is off.

(Light bulb clicks on) .... DAMN! that's right! I turned it off ... 4 weeks ago because the beer was soo good it was being consumed at a rate that there wouldn't have been any left for Skip to sample by the time he came for a visit.

Soooo ... knowing how undisciplined I am, I shut off the gas to prevent me from drawing on it. Well, I didn't draw on it after shutting off the gas and there was enough residual gas pressure IN the keg, to force a few out while Skip was here before it went to no pressure (heh, we had PLENTY of other brews to sip on so a couple draws was all that we pulled off it). I never gave it a second thought as it worked fine for the duration of his visit.

After he left, that keg was free reign again. Shortly after his departure, I hit it and ... get this trickle I described. (sigh)

I filled quite a few that way until getting fed up with it tonight and released the pressure on the keg to pop the top to look inside. Pressure? hardly! Hmmm

There was beer there. Hmmm ...

It was at this time that I noticed the CO2 valve TO the keg. It was ... OFF! HOLY SHIT! ya .... just .... can't .... fix stupid!

Ah well, back to enjoying a very nice lager again despite the damaged pride. CHEERS y'all! (raises glass)

2 comments:

GeoSab said...

haha sounds like you had fun tracking that problem down! With wine, there's no pressure, so when a tap's slow, it's sediment collecting. The easy fix is to blow a little pressure into the tap and that dislodges the sediment.

edsrockin said...

well i couldn't believe how stupid i was. what pi$$ed me off is it took me so long to *get* to the point of tracking it down. i must've drawn 8 or 9 pints at the trickle rate. it's such a simple system i just figured i must be low on CO2 -- kinda was since that valve was off. DOH! LOL