Total Pageviews

Friday, October 14, 2011

Rust never sleeps (pt. II)

Prior to breakfast Saturday morning Christopher pointed out how bald my front tire was. We had looked at it before leaving the house and were pretty much in agreement that it should last through the weekend, but would definitely have to be replaced once I got back.

Well, not so much! That front was now a racing slick.

I had two options – get a new front tire or be parked all day Saturday and ‘baby’ it home on Sunday. The latter held no appeal, so I called over to Wheeler’s where we had been the day before and they had a tire my size and that it was reasonably priced.

I found out that Kent was planning a nice sedate ride over to the gap with his daughter. Sedate – ah! that’s exactly what I need. He said he didn’t mind me tagging along. The plan was that when we got to Wheeler’s, I would split off and he would continue on.

 We crossed the Cherahola at a moderate pace. The colors on the Skyway were in full swing and a moderate pace also allowed for taking in some of that beauty.

When it was time for me to pull into Wheeler’s, so did Kent. He hung out and waited until the tire was mounted.

Once mounted, we rode over towards the Tail of the Dragon. I was starting to ride better – ain’t it amazing what a new tire can do for one’s confidence? Following a smooth rider doesn’t hurt either.   ; )

The store was a zoo. I have never had to park that far away from it before. We were there for a while and I kept staring at the sign for 28 and entertaining the notion of breaking off and heading south to see where I was at confidence-wise now that I had a good tire. However, I stayed the course and continued on with Kent. I figured I could always hit 28 “on the way home” on Sunday. 

We got back to camp around 5 and I still wanted to go out briefly and test where I was at. Ed Shea was planning on taking Kent’s FJR out for a short test run up 39 and I invited myself along. Upon returning, I decided to run down 68 for a few miles just to get a couple turns in and gauge my comfort zone.

I actually did fairly well on that brief stretch. That felt good! Of course I know 68 pretty well.

Cool! I now felt pretty good about riding homewards on Sunday. The rest of the night was occupied with drinks and lies. Melissa and Eric (the entertainment) arrived around 11 or so and the party was taken to the firepit where we were regaled with song for the next hour or so. That was a great touch.

On Sunday morning, Tim and I had forged a plan to ride a bit together. I told him I had planned on hitting 28 and then turn back northeast. He was game for that. Kent and Christopher were also heading that way so we are now four bikes.

Kent and Tim went and gassed up and we were supposed to meet up with them at the Exxon. By the time CMac and I got there, they already had taken off. So we head out at a spirited pace and as long as I had Christopher in sight, I was rolling along pretty well. I was hitting the lines right and was able to keep it off of the 5500 flat spot. This felt good and by now that front tire was completely scrubbed in.

However, when he got out of sight, I began second-guessing myself again. Yeesh!

 About 20 miles out of Robbinsville, Tim was waiting at an overlook for us. Then we hooked up with Mo and Kent. CMac had some problems with a leaking hot water heater and bolted for home, but the four of us rode together along 28 for a while and then Kent and Mo split off headed southwest, while Tim and I began winding our way back northwest.

We followed 64 for most of the day. 64 is a nice road but is always slow-going. However, neither of us was in any hurry. For me, it was just good to be out riding.

We followed 64 until we hit route 9 which Tim said I would enjoy. It sure was a great road, but I still wasn’t feeling it. Here I go again, braking prior to *every* damn turn! That, coupled with that 5500 flat spot, didn’t allow me to enjoy that road as I normally would have.

I did add some Seafoam earlier in the day, but it didn’t seem to help much. More riding is needed – for the bike and for me!

Route 9 took us up into Asheville, where I split off west and he continued on north. With the sun nearly setting on the horizon, I decided to just jump on 40 and slab it home. I arrived at the house about 8:30 feeling totally spent. Every muscle was sore and I was exhausted – in a good way!

I need to get some seat time and slough off some of this rust in a big way! 

1 comment:

OneFaller said...

right on, man. take it easy and it will come back in time.