Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 20, 2011

30=21

I know it sounds like bad math, but for our 21 st anniversary, Melissa and I “escaped” for about 30 hours. Melissa was unable to leave Knoxville due to work until about 4:30 in the afternoon. This put us leaving the house close to 6 PM.

We stopped in Knoxville to grab a bite and at a liquor store for some beer and Asti Spumante (practically a tradition for us by now). From there it was off to Tellico Plains to stay at Hunt’s Lodge. We are friends of the owners, Jack and Lori, and I would just as soon throw them some money than some corporate hotel chain.

Jack and Lori were gracious enough to come out and visit us and we spent the next couple of hours catching up and enjoying their company. Lori also made a point to bring this:



It was delicious. Thanks Lori, that was pretty sweet of you.

We left by 9 AM and were headed to Blue Ridge, GA. We had made reservations to ride on the Blue Ridge Scenic Railway. This was a nice, peaceful excursion along a river (Toccoa River?) that flows into the Ocoee to the north.







It was an hour long each way at a breakneck 13 mph. It involved a 2 hour layover on the GA/TN state line. We walked around the shops and lunched at a Mexican restaurant in Copperhill, TN.

After eating we waddled around a bit more and then re-boarded the train for the trip back. Once back we had to get to the car and find our next reserved activity. We were bound for Adventure Trail Rides, also in Blue Ridge, to explore the countryside on horseback.

I found this to be the highlight of the day. I hadn’t been on a horse that I could remember. I have a picture of me sitting on one as an infant, but no recollection of it at all.

It was kind of funny. As they were securing my stirrups, Melissa looked over at me and asked if I was okay. I was a bit nervous; just not sure what to expect. After a few steps along, though, this tension passed.



 We spent the next hour going up and down the hills of northern GA. It was quite pleasant.













We capped off the day with a visit to one of Melissa’s cousins who was only an hour and a half away from where we were. I hadn’t seen him in at least a decade. It was good to catch up with him and his wife (whom I last saw 25 years ago).

A great 30 hours to celebrate a great 21 years.

1 comment:

Missy said...

i was a peaceful weekend